Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Review: (Almost) Every VR Headset Tested

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Review: (Almost) Every VR Headset Tested

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Lot's of info here, including options to play the game from a chair and use input for stand & crouch, which is how I would play it, and detailed benchmarks and subjective playability on every different major VR headset out there.

Between this, Elite Dangerous, and Superhot VR, I *THINK* I can rationalize buying a VR rig now... assuming my portfolio doesn't totally tank in the next couple of months...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ha ... vr-headset
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Review: (Almost) Every VR Headset Tested

Post by Losbot »

Been contemplating it for some time.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Review: (Almost) Every VR Headset Tested

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Linus Tech Tips took this to the next level and tested three different VR headsets and a variety of graphics cards on Alyx, in a streamed video.

Bottom line, if you already have a VR headset from someone other than Valve, it works good - mainly because Valve themselves took great care to make the game super playable on ANY hardware, and a GTX 1060 is adequate.

That said, the best experience is on Valve's Index headset (capable of a whopping 144 Hz refresh!) and Valve's hand controllers are far superior for this game. Granted it costs $1K.

Surprisingly, the Index with a GTX 1060 is very playable, and a GTX1080 or GTX2070 is the best bang for the bucks if you need to upgrade your card anyway.

If I decide to jump on the band wagon, I personally will go for the Index (assuming my investment accounts are worth anything in two months) and I already have a GTX 1080 Superclock.

The video is well worth watching if you're interested in VR.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "