MS Flight Simulator 4K gameplay trailer

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

MS Flight Simulator 4K gameplay trailer

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If they fulfill their promise to get this working with VR, it'll be my excuse to get a VR rig.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: MS Flight Simulator 4K gameplay trailer

Post by normalicy »

I've got a friend that will be all over this.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, I am not a super realistic simulator fan, but if this supports VR, it would be a "showpiece" software to have.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Too bad they never did anything with train simulator. It was MEH at best.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have always loved and bought every MS Flight SIm version and others that were better but unfortunately died under the weight of MS marketing.
I'm curious to see where this goes. It might convince me to get VR but I have NO idea which is better.

Train Sim had lots of potential but it feels like they dumbed it down too much too.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah it was not a good simulation. There were people who made better config files for units to make them work more realistically. The steam side was a joke. Only way I know this is that I can run an actual steam locomotive so they were way off on it. You could get the locomotive in a state where it was impossible to build steam no matter how much fire and water you had.

On the diesel side the independent brake was too strong. You also had some sort of god like air compressor that never fell behind no matter how many cars you had to charge. You could not bleed off cars and "kick" them. Would be cool if somebody made a first personish train simulator that allowed a conductor to be outside the train to do switches and couplers and stuff. Make it multiplayer so you could have crews.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Microsoft has confirmed VR support by the end of the year!

It's just about to be released, and people are starting to make preview videos. Here's one showing off the visuals:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Wow that looks awesome.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

VR support will be on the new HP headset (coming "soon") exclusively for the first few months, coming later to the rest. That said, previews of the headset show it may be the best WIndows MR headset to date, and if you dont wanna blow $1000 on a Index, the way to go.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I need to hunt down some low altitude video. I want to see if all that gorgeous terrain is just flat imaging, or are smaller features rendered in 3D when you get close to the ground, like buildings?

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

It's 3D. it is interpolated for most locations with photogrametry, except for the airports included in each version that are hand crafted.

You can see how some of the buildings are a bit blocky and change in this video:

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Its not too horrid looking. Looks really good for a public SIM.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

This guy fucks up his first landing coming on a beach but you can see the houses as he is about to land and they look decent.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's 3D. it is interpolated for most locations with photogrametry, except for the airports included in each version that are hand crafted.
They tried to do that with the last version, but due to lack of processing power (I'm guessing) it really didn't look very good.

Whatever they're doing in the new version is looking great. I was surprised that there's even traffic! I'm guessing only in city centers.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

It's a combo of data streaming and processing on the MS Azure cloud.