Void Bastards

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Void Bastards

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've been reading about a lot of positive reviews about this game, so I decided to pick it up today. Love the comic book style.

Here's a gameplay video I found:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Void Bastards

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, played this several hours last night. Very addictive little game. Every time I get killed I just have to try one more time. I love the humor.

My only complaint is the layout of the ships sometimes get a bit repetitive.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, I hit a new level of play yesterday where it gets harder and now the ship wrecks have live electrical wires you have to avoid. You can jump over them if you have the room, and there's random puddles of oil and goo that make your shoes slip. Adds some variety. On the flip side you can coax enemies into walking on a live wire and watch them fry :).

Really enjoying it.

My only real complaint is you can't map movement keybinds to mouse buttons, but enough people have complained that they're working on it. So I'm just getting used to using the WASD keys.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heh, just when I thought the ships were getting repetitive...

The deeper you go into the Void, the ship designs start changing and the obstacles get more challenging, like no lighting and all you can see is what's in range of your small flash light.

It's fun managing ammo and using traps and doors to eliminate enemies without expending ammo.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

25 or so hours into the game, and I'm still addicted. Got my money's worth. Gets much harder as you go along. Fortunately I have also built better weapons, and more importantly, better ammo detectors and better armor. I've also improved my characters skills.

The ship wrecks now are full of hazards: Fires, smoke, radioactive puddles, electrical arcs. Heck some of the enemies even explode into radioactive goo. I'm having to decontaminate myself all the time now.

I want to see this through to the end. I've completed the first major challenges: Forging an ID card and building a computer, but now I'm on the hunt for the parts for a cooling system.

I don't think I would have gotten as far as I have without the ability to backup the save game folder.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If, like me, you've played the game through and enjoyed it, there's a $5 DLC that adds a new ship, new weapon, and new adversaries. From all the reviews it sounds like a winner, and makes the game less repetitive on a replay - especially at a harder difficulty.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091 ... Bang_Tydy/