CODE VEIN - Network Test

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Err
Life Member

CODE VEIN - Network Test

Post by Err »

I got an invite from Namco Bandi to try the CODE VEIN network test on my PS4 pro. The game is being promoted as "Anime Dark Souls." The Network Test ran fine and I didn't see any bugs outside hair and clothing clipping through each other. I didn't see the value of having online functionality. I saw no one else in my two play through attempts. The Network lets you play until you get to the hub area. If you're able to continue, I couldn't figure out how. The game plays fine but the controls take a bit to get used to. I was expecting the light and heavy attacks to be on the right button and right trigger. In CODE VEIN, they are mapped to the triangle and "O". You can remap them but in CODE VEIN, the right trigger is used in conjunction with the buttons to perform special skills. I didn't want to mess with remapping the entire controller. You eventually get used to it.

The visuals look okay but I hope they improve them for the final release. The walking and running animations look weird to me. I like the setting but I'm fearful that all we're going to see is city and underground. I hope I'm wrong and we get to see more variety.

The actual gameplay to a bit to get used to because I wasn't quite sure what the special attacks did. It plays similar to Dark Souls. The D-Pad is used to cycle items. Pushing down uses them. You have an "Estus Flask" which replenishes your health and is refilled by resting at Bon Fires, I mean Mistle. Here you can also level up and unlock sills with haze (not souls). One feature I really like is the ability to switch out your fighting style at any time by changing your Blood Code. I played through and as Caster on my first play through and a Fighter on my second. Each has different special abilities.

The combat itself is like most action RPG's. Strike, dodge, strike etc. . . However, it's not near as tight as Dark Souls. I didn't feel any weight behind my attacks. One thing I hated is that when I would execute a special attack, the enemy could still hit me during the animation. In my opinion, these should be able to either stun them or trigger i-frames. Enemies can stun-lock you and there's nothing you can do to break it. This is normal for these types of games. When you die, you are teleported back to the last Mistle you rested at and need to make your way back to where you died to retrieve any lost Haze.

I didn't like the overabundance of cut-scenes. These are common in Anime themed games but I think they needed to be shorter. There's nothing wrong with letting the player figure out the lore. It doesn't need to be as obscure as a From Soft game but I don't need every detail explained.

Overall, I like it. My reservations come from only being able to see the opening area up to the hub world. I didn't see any way to travel further. I hope the game play loop isn't mission based where you are teleported to an area, collect the stuff and do the things, then kill the big thing at the end. I hope the game opens up a bit. I also would like to know what the point is of having online play. It's possible I was the only one playing but I doubt it. I think this game is getting released in December. I'll update if we get another Beta test.

I had to stream my game play as I was block from capturing. It was odd, I could capture videos of what I played but not in real time.