New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Post by Genom »

Sigh. Took me an hour and a half just to find copper. But stuff is coming along. Havent seen anything about teleporters yet, but I am just getting going and am not rushing to anything, just enjoying it as it comes.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: New noclip documentary: The Untold Story Behind Astroneer's Difficult Development

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Checkout near the tops of the gray color mountains. Not visible from ground level, but usually poking out of the ground. Also at the base of the gray mountains at the transition line between the color and gray areas, although at the base it's usually not visible and you need to do some random digging to find a vein. I found a lot more there than underground.

When you get a vehicle with a drill bit, it's worth drilling some tunnels through the transition line of the gray mountains to find some veins.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Dedicated servers are coming!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I was reading the developer's blog, and they were trying to include dedicated servers in the January update, but it wasn't ready yet. It will support 4 simultaneous players initially, but they're hoping to increase that to 8.

That would be awesome! I could setup a dedicated persistent server like we did for Minecraft.

Right now the only multiplayer feature just allows a friend to join you on your world.

I would be totally willing to start all over again in the future on a dedicated server, with more of an eye towards building the most architecturally interesting base. There are a lot of items in the research tree that are just for looks, like fancy ring shaped and spire shaped storage platforms.

Even though the game is technically no longer in alpha, they are planning to continue adding new features and expanding the game.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

THE WINCH!!!! I don't know why it took me so long to build a winch. It's brilliant!

I've been driving all over Sylva with my giant rover with an extra large shredder on it, and it's awkward as hell to drive, and damn near impossible to drive in the caverns. Now I can drag things back to the shredder.

I built one on Glacio because I found a ton of debris lying around, and all I have there is a medium rover.

Oh, and the best part? You can latch the winch to yourself, and drag the vehicle out of a bad situation. Below I'm dragging two large rovers hitched together. LOL!

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Damn. I have not bothered building a winch. I see what I need to focus on next.

And YES!! Let's get a dedicated server going!!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay the winch is BRILLIANT! I'm on Glacio with a couple of medium rovers. Instead of wasting a double slot for a medium silo storage, I'm just dragging the silo behind me with the winch while mining for resources. I've confirmed anything attached to the silo doesn't get knocked off. And that leaves the double slot open for a research item. I see no reason you couldn't do this with a larger storage like a large or extra large silo.

I'm sorry I didn't come to Glacio earlier in the game. The research bytes are really HUGE here! Could have used that when I needed to buy critical research items earlier. I put Glacio off until I had an RTG but honestly, even though it's rated for low winds it's windy enough that if you bring some batteries and 3 or 4 medium wind turbines, you're good, and the hematite and titanite are all over the place.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On the developer's blog they're talking about adding more automation in the future. Some equipment is already fairly automated (eg: the furnace keeps smelting as long as there's resources on the storage on it's platform) but it would be nice if they added automation to the trade platform and the chemistry lab. Both are tediuos as hell to use.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

LOL! The winch doesn't have a size limit. You can't drag platforms, but it looks like you can drag any storage unit. In the screen shot I'm towing a Large Storage Silo A with a bunch of medium storage silos attached. A little awkward driving sometimes, but well worth it for the haul of resources you can collect.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

LMAO!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Never played it.. but whats stopping you from making another winch and putting it on the thing your dragging to drag another thing?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmmm.... I'll try, but I suspect it won't work.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well you CAN drag a storage with a winch and then have another winch on that storage drag a second one.

Also confirmed you can have two winches on a large rover and pull a storage with each one. Either way, makes for awkward driving, although I'll use two winches from now on for hauling debris back to base.

One large storage silo with medium silos attached seems the best bet. Same for cargo on the large shuttle.

I have read that you can winch something to a storage on a shuttle, but when you take off it'll break loose.

Sadly you cannot take anything with you through the teleport (now that I have two planets linked) except what's in your backpack, which makes teleporting kind of useless except for a quick run for resources. By the time you've unlocked some teleports you probably have at least a medium shuttle and plenty of hydrazine.

There is a video that shows someone carrying a whole shuttle through the teleport, and claims anything you can carry can be taken, but either it's fake or the trick he used doesn't work anymore. I tried it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I swear this game is tailor made for people like me who are OCD. I spend more time just writing lists for shuttle load outs for all the trips I'm making to activate teleports. That and I spend a monumental amount of time organizing my resource storage.

I'm also experimenting with the fastest, most efficient way to dig down to the core. I find that the small tractor with two trailers, an RTF and a #3 drill bit on both the tractor and the tool works best. Drive down at the steepest angle possible without losing traction and every time I hit a new cavern I do a 180 and zig-zag down.

I'm about to try something different though. Now that I have nano alloy, I'm going to make a portable oxygen generator and carry an extra battery and an organic generator and see if I can just drill straight down on some of the smaller moons without dying.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heh. That didn't work so well initially. It's a good strategy once you're deep enough that gravity is substantially lower. You'll survive the fall when you break into a large chamber.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay so I've completed linking all the planetary teleports. In the end I just went deep enough to feel low gravity - on most planets I already had deep mines. And then I just loaded up on oxygen tanks and batteries, and a #3 drill bit, and drilled straight down. When I popped into a chamber I'd try to slide down the wall to avoid injury. Worked most of the time.