Can someone help me in getting Half Life to play in Win2k?

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Hi guys,
I have a spare system I put together in my garage becaus there is no case, as all the parts are just laying on the work bench. This is my test bed system where I can check out new software. Anyway, I have Windows 2000 Professional installed on a seperate drive formatted with NTSF. I also have a Voodoo2 installed and have that working thanks to Flying Penguin.

So with that said, I can't get Half Life to work using the Voodoo2. When I select the 3dfx Minidriver, it locks up my system and I have to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL to terminate Half Life. I'm not fimiliar with Win2k, but does it come with DirectX installed automatically because I could not find it on the CD, nor in the Control Panel. Is it a seperate download? So how can I get this game to work with Win2k?
Blah
Goober Member

Post by Blah »

Windows2000 comes with DirectX 7 installed. Not totally sure what the problem is but I had a bunch of lockups in HL and tweaked the config.cfg file and it stopped. Maybe also try setting the desktop resolution and refresh rate to what you're using in the game. Hope that helps.

Check out the guide at http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/half-life/index.shtml
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for the info. When I got home, I fired up Win2k and the damn thing worked. I did not have to tweak a thing! Weird, but it could have something to do with only having 64 megs of ram, so I have a 128 meg stick coming to bump it to 192 total.