Serious sam Public test 2..Grr!

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

Anyone have problems with it! I sure am! First of all most textures, say the big colums, turn gray when getting too close. The tops of (palm looking) trees turn to a simple box of they are not centered on the screen. Have to look right at em or close to it. (maby it's detail setting.. didn't occure to me till now.) Bit still.. Ive never seen a game to that on default..
But lastly what gets me is the game drops to the desktop after I hit that third switch to close the hole with the bloody spikes in it. All thats it. Tryed again same.. Deleted and re D/Led from a different site.. SAME!
Now this demo can't reallty be that short can it?
Funny thing too.. It says "this is not a demo but a public test" for multiplayer I think..
I downloading it on a different comp right now to see what happens..
The game reminds me of a super ehanced Doom and I would really like to play the demo all the way through. Its 73 megs and I beleve it should go a bit futher.
Just woundering if anyone else had issues with public test 2..

****UPDATE****

Different comp same problem.. Ones an AMD the other a p3. The only thing in common between them is a v3.
Guess that's the way it is.. What a short demo!!!! :(
Im guessing the huge d/l is for multplayer testing. Darn I just want the regular Demo but can't find anything other than the test. Oh well..

[Edited by Koo Koo Mouse on 01-02-2001 at 08:11 PM]
MAC
Golden Member

Serious Sam demo

Post by MAC »

Koo Koo,

I haven't tried this version of the Serious Sam demo, but if I remember correctly, the original demo had all sorts of problems with the Voodoo 3 card.
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

Thanks for the input Mac, But I can't belive any v3 user should have any problems. The v3 is one of the most popular vidio cards in a LOT of comps and maybe will be till we switch over but it will take time... Just cant understand why a even a public test wont run/finish on a V3. Makes no sense to me.
I still think it's a f'd up demo..
Just my thoughts.
HitDoS
Genuine Member

Post by HitDoS »

Checked out the Croteam message board and found a reply to a poster who is having the same problem as you.

Fix for occasional crashes (mostly at the third switch) on all Voodoo boards

While we're waiting for 3Dfx to solve this problem in driver, there is one workaround you can do. At the console prompt, type one of the following (your choice):

1) 'mdl_iShadowQuality=0' - this will disable rendering of simple model shadows (which are the cause of crash)
-or-
2) 'ogl_bUseCompiledVertexArrays=0' - simple model shadows will be rendered, but overall rendering performance will be lower

==============================================

Alternately, I was able to work around the problem by:
- interrupting the cut scene of the spike pit
filling up with sand, before it completes,
via mouse double click
- then avoiding the middle of the room in which
the lever is located (i.e. exit the room
by way of moving along either of the side
walls (watch out for enemies popping up
behind you)

Hope this helps.
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Blimey.....

If they're waiting for 3DFX to fix a problem in the driver they gonna have a long wait....

This doesn't bode well at all for 3DFX card owners...
<a href="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Wolfman&type=O&sc=C&ls=T">My DVD Collection.</a>
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

Hey Thanks a million <b>Hitdos!</b> :) I'm sure that will do it..