Save Anywhere

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
HitDoS
Genuine Member

Post by HitDoS »

Ok, here is my first whine ever. I am absolutely sick of game companies removing the save anywhere function. It has almost ruined Giants, Hitman and now Project IGI. Do they not realize that some of us do not have HOURS to spend replaying levels over and over again.

It amazes me that a game like Giants, one that I am thouroughly enjoying, does not have a save game feature....especially later on in the base building levels. Levels that take alot of time and have you depending on "teammates" to help you.

Project IGI, which I also like even though it is pretty much a rip off of the Delta Force games, has some massive levels with the dreaded avoid-the-security-cameras routine, has some very iffy enemy AI and unfair spawning capabilities. So after spending 45 minutes stealthing around a compound, open a door to a building you just walked out of, and BAM! the guy you just killed is standing there, programmed to come back after you leave. Oh well, start all over again.

Don't get me started on Hitman. I really enjoy this game also, I just do not have the time to keep restarting a level until I get it right.

Anyway, I hope this is not a trend that continues, although it looks like it already is. Or maybe they can patch these up a bit for the people like me who have other things to do during the day but would like to finish a freakin' game every now and then. F5! F5! F5!
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

I totally agree. Maybe some games don't lend themselves to "save anywhere" (such as these mission based ones), so they should either keep them short or have "save points" on the map so you can at least save partway thru the map/mission. I know those games you mentioned are getting a lot of flack for it.

Vampire had that same problem and the designers eventually released a patch that put added the save anywhere feature since they were getting a lot of negative feedback from it. Lets hope it's not a continuing trend...
XMANN
Genuine Member

Post by XMANN »

i refuse to purchase a title if it does not have a save anywhere feature. i might miss out on otherwise great games such as IGN, Hitman, and Giants; but i refuse to play a level in a game for an hour or so and then have to restart because of one shot or simple mistake on my behalf.
Danielm7

Post by Danielm7 »

I'm playing IGI now and I got about halfway through the first level and searched for a save function cause I was at full health and had to leave, no such creature on that game. It's a stupid idea I think, there are a few people at the IGI fan web site saying it's good cause it adds realism and anxiety in the game, well we all don't have hours at a time to dedicate to a game undisturbed, and surely don't need any more realism or anxiety in my life brought to me by a video game. Most of the people on that board are hoping for a patch and I heard a load of people are returning it too, not even a good business decision it sounds like.
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

That's a good gripe <b>Hitdos.</b> One of my biggest also.
Sometimes things come up and you must quit the game right then and there. Or maybe you just want to take a chance and try something crazy to see what happens but you don't DARE without saving prior.
Nope.. I won't buy a game without save anywere either. Its beyound me why all games don't have it.. Or atleast make it an option when installing the game. That would satisfy everyone.
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

This is also something that annoys me, no-one minds a game like UT not having a save feature in the middle of a level but it's annoying not being able to save your progress if the phone goes or you have to stop or just get killed. I remember on both HL and Deus Ex I clocked up nearly 300 saves a piece because of the "1 wrong move and your dead thing".

Darkheart
Nomjr

Post by Nomjr »

You guys got it right. When I get home in the evening around 7pm, I only have and hour or two to play. Since I have such a short time frame to play, I like to play a few games to get my fix. Without being able to save, I can't get into a game like IGI,or Hitman, etc. without watching the clock. When are these developers going to learn. When is the last time someone said the game didn't seem "real" because of the save game feature? Just put it in there and for those that don't want to use it, just don't use it then. My .02
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

You know what is sad is the Giants developers have basically
said they have no intention of adding an in mission save feature :(
-there is no replacement for displacement-
XMANN
Genuine Member

Post by XMANN »

well i don't wanna hear their crying when the numbers of sales don't exceed their expectations. i will never own this without a save feature.