Top 10 reasons not to pay full price for Return to Wolfenstein

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
glassoftea

Top 10 reasons not to pay full price for Return to Wolfenstein

Post by glassoftea »

I know a lot of people like this game but it's not worth anywhere near the price that stores are getting from it. I'm glad I picked my copy up second hand from a guy who just has to have every new shooter out there, he played this one for 1 night and sold it to me the next day for 20 bucks, his loss, my gain. It's a great game for 20 bucks but not for full retail, why is that you ask?

10. The Germans don't speak German, a small thing but shows a lack of attention to detail maybe, a rush to get it out for Christmas possibly?

9. The first two levels really stink up the joint. I had to force myself to finish them, the first two levels must have been designed the day before the game was released.

8. The save/load menu is crap. I have yet to really figure this thing out. Why won't it load the last saved game? Does that make too much sense? I save the game, I die, don't load my last save, nooooo, load some save from 10 minutes ago, that's much more fun. After you I die again, then load my last save, yeah, that works. So, make me manually load my last game, I like that better, oh yeah.

7. The first two levels really stink up the joint (yeah, this gets two numbers since it was two levels)

6. Light bulbs don't break when you shoot em? Only stuff that ID says is breakable is breakable, I guess that Goldeneye technology is a little too advanced yet.

5. The name is too long, really who wants to keep typing that name out? I guess that is the quickest I've seen a game become known by its initials.

4. The "bosses" are too easy. Run and shoot, no thinking required. They are just too easy to kill.

3. The game is too predictable. There is nothing about the levels lay out, the story line, the AI, the "flow" of the game, nothing there to make you say wow, that was something new, something not done before, something to write to Aunt Susan about.

2. The NOLF copy of the guards talking to each other as you come up to them just does not work, something about it just does not seem to work as well in this game.

And the number one reason not to pay full retail for this game.......................

1. AVSP2 is only 29.99!!!!!!!!!

So,

Don't get me wrong, this is an ok game, if you can get by the first two levels, you get about two good ones then it gets kind of dry again. Maybe I've just been playing games for too long but this game is not worth full retail. There are some really nice things in it, the fire effects, the way bullets bounce off the shields of the skeleton zombies, but not a whole lot. Buy AVSP2 now for 30 bucks then wait till after Christmas to get this one, you'll feel better about yourself and everyone will tell you how much better your complexion looks.

glass
RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

man... wherdya get AvsP2 for $29.99

i got my copy for $49.99 at BestBuy after searching for "bargains" at Circuit City, EB, Software Etc, etc. and all were listed at $49.99.

now i feel ripped off :-(

great game tho my only gripe is why it seems sluggish at times even tho i'm running an AMD T-bird 1.1ghz, 256mb and a Geforce3?????!!!????

oh well... you can't have everything :-)
"I didn't do it!!!!"

Post by glassoftea »

Rat,

I actually paid full price for it at EB myself (AVSP2) but I saw it at Wal-mart a couple of days ago at 29.99. It's a great game. I don't like all the jumping in the Predator level but I guess he did do a lot of it in the movies. Kind of got to Mario brothers on me for a bit with all that jumping though.

Enjoy.

GLass
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

4. The "bosses" are too easy. Run and shoot, no thinking required. They are just too easy to kill

You haven't gotten amazingly far in to the game yet have you? I personally found the later bosses in the game extremely difficult on the 'bring it on' difficulty setting.

And yes, AvP2 is quite the sweet game indeed.
In time, you too will understand what I do.
RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

how does it run on your machines?? what specs??
"I didn't do it!!!!"

Post by blade »

I agree that's it's not worth the $60 that eb is selling it for here. Maybe 39 at most. I liked the first few levels and have them all so far that I've played actually. Germans not speaking German is normal in many movies so that doesn't bother me at all. I prefer it that way so I know what they are saying.

Light bulbs not breaking doesn't make much sense though but when I open a last saved game it goes back where I was, not sure what you mean by that. It isn't all fresh ideas but it's still fun to me. After playing boring games like serious sam, red faction etccc. this is a most welcome change. I welcome a basic shooter and that's what this is, kinda like an updated quake but with Germans and their experimemnts. I love the castles but I'm about to hurt someone if I don't ever get out of that damned dungeon/catacomb.

RaT, I am playing it on a amd 1.4 768mb ram and it is all smooth up to 1280x1024, at 1600x1200 it slows down some but is still very playable. All toys are on. Played it on a p450 and it did fine at 1024x768 but not with all the toys turned on. 800x600 all is well.
RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

blade,

thanx for the reply. im assuming your referring to RTCW regarding the performance. eventually i'll get the game and i'm not really worried about it's performance on my rig as most "quake 3 engine" games run smooth.

i was referring to and wondering why lithtech engine based games run like crap on some systems we can consider "high-end". Both NOLF and AvsP2 both run considerably slow on my main gaming machine (T-bird 1.1ghz, 256mb ram, Geforce3, win 98se) compared to others.

so how does AvsP2 run on your systems, what are your specs and what settings (game) are ya using?

btw, i'm running AvsP2 at 1024x768 32bit color/ high settings/high quality sound at 32 voices. sometimes it runs ok but some slowdowns are experienced on certain levels.
"I didn't do it!!!!"

Post by tunis5000 »

My rig consists of:

P4 1600
GF3
512 mb RAM
WinXP

I played both AvP2 and RtCW at 1024x768, 32bit, everything cranked to max, 2x FSAA and they were both smooth as silk...
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

Mine is as follows:

P3 650@ 950
GF2 GTS
384 RAM
WinXP

AvP2 ran silky smooth on mine rig with all details set to high. Same with RTCW. Res for both was 1024x768x32.
glassoftea

Post by glassoftea »

Blade,

What I mean by light bulbs not breaking is that the environment does not react to stimulus. Remember Goldeneye how you could shoot just about anything and it would react, bullet holes in doors, light bulbs would break, windows shatter etc etc etc. Well, I hold the games I play to that level, if they don't include such a feature I feel it's a strike against the game. I'm sure it takes a lot to add all of that interactivity but for the price they are selling that game for it should include all of the bells and whistles.

On the save game, I usually save about 4 times per level so If I miss something I can go back to an earlier save, so I save in order, save 1, save 2 etc. When I save for the 4th time or so and then die well it doesn't load my last save, it loads save one, the first one in the slot, kind of un-intuitive in my opinion.

Rat,

I run a 1.05 gig with 512 cheapo memory, a Geoforce 1 (i'm cheap) and both games run very well on this machine at 1024x768. I run into some slowdowns thanks to the old vid card but not enough to have to crank the res down.

Wraith,

I beat the first boss and felt he was far to easy, too Serious Sam if you will. I won't be seeing any more of them as I have given up completely on this one and am moving on to something else.

glass
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

The first boss isn't really a boss though Glass :)

Once you beat him, you will run into his kind several more times in the crypt levels. Trust me. The bosses are much harder as you go along. Also, the undead thing is actually quite minor and ends up being only in certain sections of the game. The rest is pure unadulterated Nazi killin' fun. Oh an multiplayer rules.
glassoftea

Post by glassoftea »

I hear you on the multiplayer, I have done some serious time with the first multiplayer release. That was one of the reasons I was really looking foward to this game. I have yet to play multi with the full version but will prolly set it up on the lan here at home sooner or later. Single player is dead to me (spits on ground).

glass
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

P3-1000, GF3 Ti200, 512Mb, Win2K.

Silky smooth here with max eye candy at 1024x768. I can probably go higher res just haven't tried yet.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Kakarot
Golden Member

Post by Kakarot »

Originally posted by RaT
blade,

thanx for the reply. im assuming your referring to RTCW regarding the performance. eventually i'll get the game and i'm not really worried about it's performance on my rig as most "quake 3 engine" games run smooth.

i was referring to and wondering why lithtech engine based games run like crap on some systems we can consider "high-end". Both NOLF and AvsP2 both run considerably slow on my main gaming machine (T-bird 1.1ghz, 256mb ram, Geforce3, win 98se) compared to others.

so how does AvsP2 run on your systems, what are your specs and what settings (game) are ya using?

btw, i'm running AvsP2 at 1024x768 32bit color/ high settings/high quality sound at 32 voices. sometimes it runs ok but some slowdowns are experienced on certain levels.
It may be that high quality 32 voice sound your using there. The SBLive! will eat up some CPU cycles with that many voices if the game is actually using it. Somewhere around the 30% cpu usage range. Try dopping that down and see if it helps.
"Why build only one when you can build two for twice the price?"
<a href="mailto:murphy@excaltech.com">Email</a>
<a target=NEW href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=377">Heatware evals</a>
RaT
Golden Member

Post by RaT »

are you talking about from 32 to 16? or from high quality to.. let's say medium?

or are you suggesting both? what the hell... i'll play with different settings later!!

thanks for the suggestion :-)
"I didn't do it!!!!"