The Mueller Report

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
Err
Life Member

The Mueller Report

Post by Err »

NPR is hosting the redacted report. It's 139 Mb: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/18/70885090 ... NsLE_6dOyY
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: The Mueller Report

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Trump's messaging on this is rather funny. On one hand he's declaring the report completely exonerates him, while at the same time he discredits the report's authors as 'lying Democrats'. You can't have it both ways. :)

Some good summaries of the report on thehill.com

The 10 items of possible obstruction were the ones we've pretty much heard about through New York times articles in the past (oh yeah the lying New York times). Just some more detail about how he actually did repeatedly try to ask his people to do things that would have been obstruction of the investigation, but the people working for him refused.

My favorite little tidbit was Sarah Sanders admitting to Mueller that she'd made false statements to the press concerning the reasons for Comey's firing.

I am shocked, shocked, to hear that Sarah Sanders misled the press. :)

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ng-mueller
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Chris Wallace from Fox News says there's a lot of embarrassing things about Trump in the report, although nothing approaching the difficult bar of Impeachment.

He earlier also commented that AG Barr sounded more like one of Trump's attorneys rather than the attorney general of the United States during the press conference.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah I am sure there is nothing of import in those redactions....
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

My favorite thing to come out of the report so far is that Don Jr. wasn't charged because he's basically too stupid.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/04 ... ith-russia

This series of events [surrounding the June 9 meeting] could implicate the federal election-law ban on contributions and donations by foreign nationals . . . Specifically, Goldstone passed along an offer purportedly from a Russian government official to provide “official documents and information” to the Trump campaign for the purposes of influencing the presidential election. Trump Jr. appears to have accepted that offer and to have arranged a meeting to receive those materials. Documentary evidence in the form of e-mail chains supports the inference that Kushner and Manafort were aware of that purpose and attended the June 9 meeting anticipating the receipt of helpful information to the Campaign from Russian sources.

The Office considered whether this evidence would establish a conspiracy to violate the foreign contributions ban . . . solicitation of an illegal foreign-source contribution; or the acceptance or receipt of “an express or implied promise to make a [foreign-source] contribution” . . . There are reasonable arguments that the offered information would constitute a “thing of value” within the meaning of these provisions, but the Office determined that the government would not be likely to obtain and sustain a conviction for two other reasons: first, the Office did not obtain admissible evidence likely to meet the government’s burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these individuals acted “willfully,” i.e. with general knowledge of the illegality of their conduct; and, second, the government would likely encounter difficulty proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the value of the promised information exceeded the threshold for a criminal violation.