Teachers: Red Ink = Scary

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
sbp

Teachers: Red Ink = Scary

Post by sbp »

Switching to a less frightening color will boast students performance and save their precious esteem since we don't want the kids to be psychologically scarred for life now do we?

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_ ... ng_purple/

"If you see a whole paper of red, it looks pretty frightening," said Sharon Carlson, a health and physical education teacher at John F. Kennedy Middle School in Northampton. "Purple stands out, but it doesn't look as scary as red."

A mix of red and blue, the color purple embodies red's sense of authority but also blue's association with serenity, making it a less negative and more constructive color for correcting student papers, color psychologists said. Purple calls attention to itself without being too aggressive. And because the color is linked to creativity and royalty, it is also more encouraging to students.

"I do not use red," said Robin Slipakoff, who teaches second and third grades at Mirror Lake Elementary School in Plantation, Fla. "Red has a negative connotation, and we want to promote self-confidence. I like purple. I use purple a lot."

Sheila Hanley, who teaches reading and writing to first- and second-graders at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Randolph, said: "Red is definitely a no-no. But I don't know if purple is in."

Ruslan Nedoruban, who is entering seventh grade at his Belmont school, said red markings on his papers make him feel "uncomfortable."
xsiled
Golden Member

Post by xsiled »

how bout we just give all kids raindow pens and start them out as queers from the age of 6.
VICTORY 2004
TruckStuff
Golden Member

Post by TruckStuff »

LOL!! :lol
TruckStuff
Golden Member

Post by TruckStuff »

Originally posted by xsiled
how bout we just give all kids raindow pens and start them out as queers from the age of 6.
Easy there... let's not go overboard here. :s hame
rndmtask

Post by rndmtask »

Because we all know the real world isn't scarry, and people never die and are always beutiful. The children of the next generation are going to be the biggest pussies ever.
Rand Dusing
Goober Member

Post by Rand Dusing »

Ruslan Nedoruban, who is entering seventh grade at his Belmont school, said red markings on his papers make him feel "uncomfortable."

It's called studying and you wont have such bad grades. If they use purple, it will evntually be associated with bad grades and make people "uncomfortable." Then the whole color changing process will go on again, and they will probably go clear pen or rainbow.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

FEAR MY POST!!! it is all in red so it should scare the shit out of everybody that reads it.I mean come on, school is supposed to prepare you for the real world, and shugar coating everything is going to shock the hell out of the kids and "scar" them and what not. and like it was said, soon purple will mean bad and it will be back to square 1. One thing i think they need to teach in school is common sense! And how to change a flat tire.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Originally posted by Pugsley
FEAR MY POST!!! it is all in red so it should scare the shit out of everybody that reads it.I mean come on, school is supposed to prepare you for the real world, and shugar coating everything is going to shock the hell out of the kids and "scar" them and what not. and like it was said, soon purple will mean bad and it will be back to square 1. One thing i think they need to teach in school is common sense! And how to change a flat tire.
LOL
how to change a flat tire
and to make change.
darcy

Post by darcy »

2 much molly-coddlin' goin' on now-a-dayz.

lol @ Pugsley.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.