Finally upgraded my phone

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Executioner
Life Member

Finally upgraded my phone

Post by Executioner »

From a Samsung S9 to a Google Pixel 8 Pro.

I had a small challenge in moving my music files over because they were stored on the micro card in the Samsung phone. I had to connect my S9 to my PC and copy the files off the micro card to the PC. Then connect the Pixel to the PC and copy them over.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Finally upgraded my phone

Post by Losbot »

Congrats. We love our Pixel 7s. Great phones. Not sure if I'm going to go to 8 yet. Current one works just fine.
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Good luck, never had a Pixel last more than a year or so and I own like 3 different ones in the past. Current phone is an iPhone 13 and still works the same as the day I bought it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've had exceptional life out of Pixels. Still using a Pixel 2XL as a spare. I have my wife's old Pixel 3a that still works fine and I keep in the fridge to stabilize the battery. That's still configured for her so it's a backup. We're both rocking Pixel 6 phones currently.

I love the pure Android. Can't stand the stupid Samsung UI.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

After I got home and connected to WIFI, I had almost 30 updates. I don't update everything listed, so I have about 20 left that I'm not updating. I have no use for AI Wallpaper as an example.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I turn off auto app updates, and pick and choose. I also use RerWare's MyBackup Pro to backup all my apps before I update them. There have been times when I didn't like an update or it broke something.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Is there any way to hide the updates you don't want to install or upgrade? On my old Samsung S9, I always had about 10 updates that I never upgraded, but there was no way to hide them.

You mentioned that you can reinstall an older version of an app that you have a backup of. I did not know that was even possible. Samsung never allowed that with the backups I had on certain apps.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm not aware of any way to hide them. If you back up the .apk files, which is what that backup program I use does, you can always sideload an old version by executing it's APK in a file manager app.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Our Pixel 7s have been solid and I plan to eventually upgrade to the 8, keeping the 7 as a backup, where I'll keep a copy of Google Authenticator on it. Most likely just keep it in the safe.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: If you want to keep the battery on an old phone from deteriorating while in storage, put it in the fridge (not the freezer!). Best to discharge them to 50% first. I have several old devices in a mini fridge, along with my alkaline batteries. Batteries will stay fresh in a fridge for an extremely long time (old photographer's trick). And no, moisture is not an issue (first question everyone asks).

I pulled out an ancient iPod 2008 iPod Nano 4 out of the fridge the other day, that a friend was interested in. Still worked fine. I let it charge and then fully discharge while playing through the songs on it in a loop, and it lasted a good 18 hours. Also pulled out a couple of very old Android phones from the same era that I decided to recycle (too old to do anything with, and I have some newer used phones stored in there) and they still had a the half charge I stored them with, and booted them up and did a factory wipe on the battery.