Mircosoft kills Windows 10 Mobile !

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Mircosoft kills Windows 10 Mobile !

Post by reno »

kind of old news and not many Die Hard Window Phone users anyway.
Microsoft said that on Dec. 10, 2019, it will stop sending "new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free assisted support options, or technical content updates from Microsoft for free." In other words, there aren't going to be any more updates, and only a few phone models will even be supported until that final date.
On Friday, the tech giant announced that anyone who still uses its Windows 10 mobile platform — once called Windows Phone — should switch over to an iPhone or an Android phone. A change to the Windows 10 Mobile support page was first spotted by Thurrott, a site that covers Microsoft.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/18/microso ... droid.html
Err
Life Member

Re: Mircosoft kills Windows 10 Mobile !

Post by Err »

I hope there is a postmortem of window mobile. I get why iOS took hold but it's still odd that Android took off when you think about the market. I think Microsoft smothers their own products and slits their own throat. For example, they have the most powerful console right now but no reasons to own it. They own almost all of the OS and Office Productivity market in the corporate world but continue to push updates that break things. We run Office 365 at work and their apps still don't like to work well together. How many times have they pulled the Oct 2018 Feature update? Microsoft really needs to take a hard look at their products. Windows Mobile shouldn't have failed like it did.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a couple of friends who owned Windows 10 mobile phones. It was a fine operating system, but you're right Microsoft doesn't know how to sell anything but productivity & Windows.

They focused way too much on integrating mobile with the desktop (and that's why Windows 10 is so bloated with social crap that no one uses). Heck Google integrated Android with the desktop without ever actually touching the computer just by making all their features available through any browser.

The biggest problem is the app store. you already had the two walled gardens of iOS and Android, and nobody really wanted to code for a 3rd one. Then they took too long to help companies to port their apps over their ecosystem.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

I understand lack of app.s for windows mobile was one of the biggest down fall !