A gaming question and a motherboard question...

Laptops, Notebooks, PDA's, MP3 Players, Cell Phones
Sagi
Goober Member

A gaming question and a motherboard question...

Post by Sagi »

I'm planing on buying a new computer. Now I thought of maybe buying a mobile one, just not sure if all the games will work with it, maybe it sounds stupid but are there any games that have problem working with a mobile computer? Is there any performance difference between a mobile computer and an immobile computer?

And another thing, just for knowledge, is there a motherboard that supports both DDR-II and AGP cards?
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

hey welcome aboard!

mobiles will generally have less power overall and cost more than desktops of similar power, but a lot of the new high end mobiles can play most games fine if they have enough memory and a high end stand-alone (not integrated) video card

not sure about the DDR2 AGP question because all my my systems use DDR

I am sure that there are some older intel based boards that do that or you just might want to search at a major us retailer like http://www.newegg.com to see what they have in stock
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I have a friend with a lappy that he plays bf2 on. That game is known for using a boat load of mem and vid resorces. If your gonna do a lot of gaming on a mobile computer, get something with a go 6800 or 7800. He has an ATI vid card in his lappy with 128mb and has to turn all his settings down to minimum to play without chop. As far as Im concerend, there are very few mobile comp that play newer games smoothly without spending a $hitload of money.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
Sagi
Goober Member

Post by Sagi »

Thanks for replying and for the welcome.

I know mobiles generally have low GHz for thier CPU, but I found on the internet a mobile comp with 3.0GHz for it's CPU with 512MB DDR and ATI Mobility Radeon X300 with 64MB and it all costs 9000 NIS wich is like $1915.

I don't have a lot of money right now but if it's worth it maybe I'll save for it. If you guys say mobiles have no problem or difference playing a game then that's good.

You know, "If so... then so...", If I'm already planing on buying a new computer I might as well buy a good one, and the mobile might be wroth it.

Thanks for the replies again.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

IF YOU PLAN ON GAMING, dont buy anything with less than 128mb video mem. 32,64 are not enough to play most games.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
Sagi
Goober Member

Post by Sagi »

Yeah, I know, It's a minimum of 256MB for the Video Card for me, when I'll buy one.