New monitor upgrade

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

New monitor upgrade

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just bought this LG 2K Ultra Wide 144Hz IPS monitor for $549 (was $750 and Newegg is still selling it for $900): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DWD38VX

Same size as my 5 year old AGON monitor, but that was a VA panel and limited to 100 Hz on DisplayPort and a miserable 50Hz on HDMI (I use both - I switch between the workstation on HDMI and the gaming PC on DP).

Was mostly interested in the higher refresh rate, which does not disappoint (running 144 on DP and 85 on HDMI now), but the stunning difference is the color range. This monitor is 10bit color depth compared to 8 bit on the old one. The colors are just stunning. Makes it look like I got a new video card. Even textures in an old game like L4D2 pop. And it's really nice to have pure blacks and not see backlight bleed.

Freesync Premium, but it is also recognized as a GSync monitor by my 3080.

I was hesitant as I don't like change, and the old panel was doing the job. Only minor quibble is the input switch requires two more steps compared to the AGON's single step. It's still a toggle control like the AGON, but push, left, left instead of just left. Got used to it pretty quickly.

Very happy with the upgrade. Bagged the old monitor and stored it in the garage as a backup.

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: New monitor upgrade

Post by Executioner »

Curved screen?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yes, same as old monitor.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'll still hold on to my Agon. Glad it served you well over the years. I only use the DisplayPort, so I'm good for now but nice to know there's some respectable alternatives if/when this one ever dies out on me. For now, it's still going strong.
------------------------------------------