3rd party NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

3rd party NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm. So far it's only the 3rd party boards with a factory overclock.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx ... ng-gaming/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: 3rd party NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

Post by Err »

I saw that. Speculation is that there may be power supply issues with those crashes. These cards pull a lot of power. I think these companies need to include Amperage in addition to wattage for these card requirements. Still, we may need to wait a couple months for these problems to be corrected. It's not like we can buy one anyway.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: 3rd party NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

Post by Executioner »

NVIDIA officially recommends a 750W PSU for the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 Founders Edition cards, with a 650W PSU recommended for the lesser RTX 3070. With a card like that, you may want a 1000W power supply to make sure.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Here's hoping this 850W is up to whatever GPU I get
Err
Life Member

RTX 3080 Crash to Desktop Problems Likely Connected to AIB-Designed Capacitor Choice

Post by Err »

https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/rtx- ... tor-choice

I guess I won't be a 3080 anytime soon unless there is a hardware revision by the third parties.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. According to that article Asus uses the best capacitors. Not surprised Zotac uses the worst. Those have always been cheaply made cards.

Might be looking at Asus or a Founders Edition, unless they get this fixed at EVGA.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

EVGA says they fixed the problem in production cards, but reviewers got pre-production cards with the wrong kind of capacitors.

I'd still prefer an EVGA card as I've been happy with them for a decade, but I'll want to wait and see how this settles out. As stated in the article, it could also be PSU issues, or a combination of both.

I think I'm also going to plan in a PSU upgrade just in case. I have a really good 750 but the rule with PSUs is you never want to push them past 75% capacity as most PSUs start getting unstable and generate line noise as you get past that point. Fortunately I have a modular PSU in my gaming PC, so that'll make things easier.
EVGA's statement above acknowledges that its own cards weren't stable with the all-POSCAP solution, all but confirming that the capacitors could play a role in crashes. In fact, EVGA says its all-POSCAP designs couldn't pass its own internal testing, so the company went with a mixed POSCAP and MLCC design, which solved the issues, albeit at the cost of a delayed launch.

We do need to exercise caution, though. There's still the outside chance that this issue isn't entirely related to capacitors - Nvidia's Ampere cards have higher power supply requirements than previous-gen cards, and drivers are still in the early stages of widespread use. As such, capacitor-induced crashes might not be responsible for all crashing issues - there are a lot of factors at play.
EVGA Says Nvidia RTX 3080 Cap Issues Caused Crashes, Confirms Stability Issues
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga- ... ed-crashes

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks for the update. I prefer EVGA too. I'm currently running an 850 so I think I'm okay.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah 850 should be fine. That's what I'm getting. I'll move the 750 to my workstation which only has a 550. Both are modular EVGAs so easy swap.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've have both. An EVGA in my older gaming rig and the Asus in my newer gaming rig. No issues with wither.
------------------------------------------