Workaround for Youtube's Anti-Adblocker tech

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Workaround for Youtube's Anti-Adblocker tech

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you haven't noticed, YT is preventing some people from using an adblocker, and even the vaulted UBlock Origin is having trouble circumventing it, without tweaking your filters every week. It's a cat and mouse game.

The easy workaround, for now, short of paying for YT Premium, is to log out of your Google account, according to this:

Youtube’s Anti-adblock and uBlock Origin
https://andadinosaur.com/youtube-s-anti ... ock-origin
YouTube isn’t rolling out the anti-adblock to everyone. It seems to depend on things like your account, browser, and IP address. And if you’re not logged in or you’re in a private window, you’re safe.
So bottom line, if you can, just stay logged out of your Google account, or use a private window, and YT shouldn't block you due to your adblocker, for now anyway.

Okay, that explains why I'm not seeing it on my laptop, workstation or gaming PC. I do not leave those PCs logged into my Gmail/Youtube account in Firefox (well, I am on the workstation, but I only use Brave logged into Gmail to see my phone's texts, email, calendar and contacts, but I don't use Brave for anything else - it's just my Google accounts interface).

The Surface Pro tablet I use for reading my morning news, as I am now, is what stays logged into my Youtube account, because I watch YT videos on it that I subscribe to, and email myself links to the ones I want to download later for Media Center. It's the same account I use on my phone.

I just went ahead and paid for a premium subscription for that account, because it's worth it to me considering how many videos I watch on YT, and I have to be logged in to see my subscribed channels. I'm not going to play games with my UBlock Origin filters every month. As a byproduct, the Android YT app is now actually usuable on my phone. That was a horrible experience without premium - completely unusable.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Workaround for Youtube's Anti-Adblocker tech

Post by Executioner »

I found an alternate method using FireFox. Open in a new private window.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

@Pengo Are you not a fan of Brave? Why Firefox over Brave? Just curious.
------------------------------------------

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

@Pengo Are you not a fan of Brave? Why Firefox over Brave? Just curious.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I prefer Firefox. I have it configured the way I want it.

I do use Brave as my always open Google accounts browser on my workstation. I have my Google Calendar, Contacts, SMS messages and Gmail open on it all the time, but I do not do any browsing on it. That's my Google isolation system.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Gotcha.