Found a Teamviewer alternative

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Found a Teamviewer alternative

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Teamviewer has been getting fussy lately. If you try to remote into more than one PC it locks you out and makes you buy a commercial license. Not coincidently they have switched to a pricey subscription model instead of a lifetime license.

I have some IT friends who have been using RemotePC.com (https://www.remotepc.com/) and like it a lot. Just as full featured as Teamviewer. They have a 1 user to access 1 PC free license, and a reasonably priced 1 user to access 10 PCs for $69 a year (discounted first year 10 bucks or so).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Re: Found a Teamviewer alternative

Post by b-man1 »

I use the free ScreenConnect (now ConnectWise Control) license that allows 1 concurrent connection and three remote agents. Works great.

https://www.connectwise.com/software/control/free
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Thx. Will put that on my list of recommendations.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You'd think that this would be a thing that someone out there would master & put out for free. Everything is annoyingly expensive if you want to do anything more advanced than look at one PC or have multiple monitors.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a client that was paying WAY too much for GotoMyPC. They tried Teamviewer but TV wants a huge chunk of money for an add-on package if you want to be able to run concurrent sessions (and they need to - it's a nurse that needs to remote in to 3 workstations and sometimes needs to work on 2 at the same time).

They're trying out RemotePc.com, the SoHo $69/yr plan allows 1 user to access up to 10 PCs concurrently. I'll let you know how it works out for them.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote: They tried Teamviewer but TV wants a huge chunk of money for an add-on package if you want to be able to run concurrent sessions (and they need to - it's a nurse that needs to remote in to 3 workstations and sometimes needs to work on 2 at the same time).
I think they are confused. The concurrent sessions is if more that one user is trying to use the same TeamViewer license concurrently. Meaning, I can connect to multiple clients at the same time, BUT if someone else trying to use my license to connect at the same time, that would not work. So in their situation, if more than one nurse would need to connect, then they would need the addon to allow more than one with the same license, but if it's a single nurse to connecting to multiple workstations, that will work with the single license.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's what they want. It's one nurse who does the scoring for a sleep lab. She remotes into the scoring PC and two sleep lab PCs from a remote location during the day to score the results and backup the data. Sometimes she has two remote windows open at the same time. Not sure why she can't just log off an on. I guess there's some back and forth she has to do.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:That's what they want. It's one nurse who does the scoring for a sleep lab. She remotes into the scoring PC and two sleep lab PCs from a remote location during the day to score the results and backup the data. Sometimes she has two remote windows open at the same time. Not sure why she can't just log off an on. I guess there's some back and forth she has to do.
But you said Teamviewer can't do that without the addon, but I'm saying I don't have that addon and I CAN connect to multiple sessions.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They say TV won't let them do that without an addon package so they're trying RemotePC.

Do you have one of the old unlimited licenses or a newer subscription? They screwed things up when they went to subscription. They're nickle and dimeing everyone, and they aren't being as forgiving with the free license.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I have a Business Subscription, its $330/year (I've had it since they started subscriptions, so it's lower than what you can get now). I just tested it again, opened 3 connections from my desktop, no issue. The concurrent sessions limit is on the licensed user establishing the connection. If I tried to open a connection from my desktop to a client and at the same time tried to open a connection from my laptop to another client, it would fail. Out of all the options, in terms of pricing and how well it works, I still think they are the best option outside of RDP. If you want to talk about ripping people off, look at Logmein. Their pricing is ridiculous and their remote access is crap compared to TeamViewer. Reminds me of some IP KVMs. Teamviewer is what I judge all others by. If a product performs as well, then go for it, especially at $69 a year, that's awesome. For me I have to do a lot of work remotely on some clients and I need something as close to RDP as possible.