StickyPassword $50 Lifetime License (66% off) - Good Password App with Non-Cloud Option

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

StickyPassword $50 Lifetime License (66% off) - Good Password App with Non-Cloud Option

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have been concerned about the lack of security in Firefox's built-in password manager. It's better than IE or Chrome which don't even have a master password, but security experts say it's not very secure. Also it strangely doesn't want to save or auto-fill passwords on certain sites.

I do keep ALL my passwords in a strongly encrypted Zip file, and just copy and paste, but I do like to have some of the logins I use on a daily basic saved in the browser for convenience.

My problem is I don't want a subscription service and I do not want to trust some company to keep my password database secure on a cloud server. I like rolling my own.

I used the free version of StickyPassword a few years ago just for a particularly temperamental web site that had to be browsed in IE and IE wouldn't save the password for that site, and I decided to look at StickyPassword again.

While StickyPassword does have a cloud option, you have the ability to disable it and just use in your browsers(s) without syncing. Optionally there's a LAN only sync option that lets you sync from your PC to any other device on your LAN, without ever sending it out to the cloud.

So I started using it a week ago and I really like it. It's very full featured, supports several browsers in Windows and MacOS, as well as iOS and Android.

Right now I'm just using it on my workstation PC in Firefox only and not syncing it at all.

I decided to buy it, and while they do have a subscription service ($29 a year), they also have a lifetime license option - normally for $150.

***HOWEVER*** I somehow found, by accident, a review somewhere, that provided a link to a July 4th sale where the price was reduced to $50 for the lifetime license, so I snatched it up.

That offer still works, so if you're interested, grab it while you can for a great price. If you just want to try it out, the free version can be upgraded to premium any time. Here's the link:

https://www.stickypassword.com/buy-prem ... 5d72f77461

The offer is good until July 10th.

Review here, where the only cons are "No online access to passwords. No secure password sharing." which I consider A GOOD THING. I don't want my passwords in the cloud.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/331940/sti ... rd-premium
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: StickyPassword $50 Lifetime License (66% off) - Good Password App with Non-Cloud Option

Post by psypher »

You might be interested it Bitwarden. It's open source and you can host it yourself if you want.

https://bitwarden.com/#download
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: StickyPassword $50 Lifetime License (66% off) - Good Password App with Non-Cloud Option

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I didn't make it clear this us self hosted on your pc. Never leaves the LAN if you don't want it to.

I'll look into Bitwarden though.

Main reason I like StickyPassword is that it offers to save passwords for sites that don't work with standard password managers. For instance Firefox refused to offer to save the login for Paypal.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I still have my zip txt file also, but I also disable FF's built in password manager, and I don't allow it to auto-fill. I use LastPass, and keep a copy of the sites my zip file as a backup.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote: The offer is good until July 10th.
But you're telling us about it on the 12th? LOL
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Actually that's what it says but the offer still works. I checked it yesterday. So if interested, grab it while you can.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: Still using Sticky Password. I set it up in LAN server mode. My workstation is the server. My other devices access it, but it never goes outside the local network the way I have it setup.

I eventually need to move the the master to the file server.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. Looks like there is no "master" database. If you have LAN sync enabled, and all devices are registered to the same serial, then they all just sync with each other without there being a master server.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Do they have a way of migrating from LastPass to their product?
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm more curious to the cost - looks like it's not a one time cost. What happens after a year? Does it quit working?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's why I was happy to grab a lifetime license when I could. I hate subscriptions.

I think, if your license expires, it reverts to the free version. Free version doesn't sync.

Looks like they occasionally offer lifetime license deals. Android Authority had one back in April:
https://deals.androidauthority.com/sale ... bscription

Worth keeping an eye out.