Florida city fires IT employee after paying ransom demand last week

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Florida city fires IT employee after paying ransom demand last week

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Officials from Lake City, Florida, have fired an IT employee last week after the city was forced to approve a gigantic ransomware payment of nearly $500,000 last Monday.

The employee, whose name was not released, was fired on Friday, according to local media reports [1, 2], who cited the Lake City mayor.

The city's IT manager is also planning to revamp the town's entire IT department to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.
Fired an IT tech? They hould have fired the F'ing IT Manager for not having off-line backups.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/florida-c ... last-week/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Re: Florida city fires IT employee after paying ransom demand last week

Post by b-man1 »

I'm hoping that tech was involved enough in the past to have his/her recommendations disregarded by management, while keeping CYA records. The lawsuit would be glorious!

+1 FP...a failure at this level isn't because a lowly tech failed to click a box somewhere, it's up to management to determine the security posture, then delegate to have it implemented. If it isn't implemented, then that same management is at fault for not tracking the progress. Instead, these idiots allow the failure of a manager to persist. I bet that manager goes on to recommend huge sweeping changes with the now open-ended budget and will pick some monstrosity of a solution and spend a ton of unneeded taxpayer money.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Florida city fires IT employee after paying ransom demand last week

Post by Executioner »

LOL - blame it on the guy at the bottom.