Better Speed Test from DSLReports.com

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
DaMaN

Re: Better Speed Test from DSLReports.com

Post by DaMaN »

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, I compared my service to my parent's house and found out their package includes Blast! internet (50Mb/s) while mine is Performance (25Mb/s). Upgraded my package and re-bundled and I now pay $60 less than I was AND I'm getting 90Mb/s down / 12Mb/s up! :)

The guy on the phone was REAL nice. I think it was a call center in Miami (guy was talking to his supervisor with a Cuban accent). It sounds like Comcast is really trying to fix their broken customer service image. This guy went WAY beyond to get me set up. I have always had issues with this account because it's 20 years old and something was set wrong on it at one time and they always have issues trying to make any changes to it, and in the past they have always just given up because making a change usually breaks my cable cards. He ran into the same problem this time and got a couple of supervisors involved. It took them around 20 minutes but everything is still working fine on my DVR and three cable cards, and now I have faster internet.

Whatever this bundle is seems to be a good deal. I was paying $229 for Performance Internet, 1 DTA, 3 HD cable cards and 1 HD DVR with Starz and HBO. Now it's $168 for the first year, and then it goes up to $187, AND I get the Blast Internet speed tier.

Might be worth while to call them and see if they can give you a better deal than you're getting now.

Now I have to adjust the QOS on my router to compensate for the faster speed, but no worries. That'll take me just a few minutes.

:rockon:
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Cap

Post by Cap »

Just made the jump to ATT Gigapower. So far so good!

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

I just upgraded from 30 to 150 Mb/s. It's $5 a month more but you have to go on a 2 year contract.
Here's the result on default settings with the Hitron CGNM-2250 router.

I find it strange the quality is rated F.

Shaw Internet 30 is: 30 down 5 up with a data cap of 300 Gigs.
Shaw Internet 150 is: 150 down 15 up with a cap of 1000 Gigs.

I only use about 60 Gigs a month since their version of Netflix (Showmi), is on a separate segment and doesn't use any bandwidth or data.
Last edited by Nuby1Canuby on Wed May 03, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If Donald Trump wins, can I move into your garage? :)

I find the Quality rating to be WAY off most of the time. I just ignore it.

I'm impressed you have a good buffer bloat score. Are you using any kind of QoS on your router?

I am sorely debating getting business class Comcast for the new house, but I want to see what kind of bandwidth speed guarantees they'll give me. I don't really need it to avoid caps - we don't have any caps out here, probably because it's so rural.

Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

QOS is just a check box on this router.

I think it likes Edge and Internet Explorer better then FireFox for the test.

It's interesting that when I select DSL instead of Cable, it rates it as A+ instead of A for quality.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

[urlImageImage][/url]
this is what you get mid afternoon for $14 .00 a month Comcast Internet service .
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

So recently my business contract was up so I called Comcast to see what pricing they'd offer me to renew. The guy threw in a modem upgrade (I had one of the older SMC modems) and gave me a Cisco DPC3941B. They offered me $60 off the monthly service so I went ahead and upgraded to 75/15 from 50/10 plus a Static IP. With the discounts I pay the same as before. The installer did find some noise on the line, so he went ahead and gave me like 100' of cable so I can do a straight run to the modem. Because my equipment has slowly been moving from upstairs to the basement, to another place in the basement, I've been extending the cable so I have like 6 different connection points along the way :) I only use them for internet, so I only need a single run.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5444206
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my AT&T service. I can't get Comcast and the other local company is shit. Everyone here complains about them constantly. When I called to inquire about the possibility of changing to them (they're offering 1Gig for lie $70) I immediately got a recording explaining their current outage. LOL

So I agreed to pay $30/mo more to go from:

To now:
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

Image florida home today
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Pretty shitty considering that I have a new house that has fiber built in.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

And my computer is on wifi to the router/modem.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Talked to Comcast today about the status of cable run to the new house, and they let me know I could upgrade from my current 75/10 to 150/25 for just $15 a month, so may do that when I move the service to the new house.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Damn you!
I miss Comcast. lol