Broadband sharring question

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
KevStein
Goober Member

Broadband sharring question

Post by KevStein »

I just built a new machince and I would like to use our cable internet on the new computer also.

1) what is the easiest way to share the internet access?

2) the cheapest way?

3) since the new computer will be down the hall from the old one, are there any good options for wireless sharring, without loosing much speed?

Thanks
dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

1)Easiest way is with a router also provides pretty good security

2)Cheapest was is with a cross over cable and ICS

3)Wireless is pretty good these days but takes a few more to make secure and a little more $$$
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Re: Broadband sharring question

Post by DoPeY5007 »

1 - Router

2 - ICS ( Can only work with Cable, not DSL that uses PPPoE )

3 - There will be no speed loss, the wireless is much faster then the Cable line, you can get two wireless card ans then do ICS with them, no router, no wires
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Just wanted to say that ICS does work with DSL. I have an external DSL modem and had to use my Win2k box for DSL sharing some time ago. I have only one NIC in my Win2k PC, the DSL modem was connected to the hub, the RASPPPOE drivers for the DSL created a dialup connection and that could be shared via ICS (with only one NIC).

ICS is fine for the cheap connection sharing but it lacks some important features like port forwarding. That's needed when you're gaming or do some p2p action on the PC that's not directly on the internet.

The easiest way (though not the cheapest) would be a wireless broadband router.
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

DoPeY5007, I had EarthStink DSL before I got cable. I used ICS to share the connection with three comps. Only one comp had the speedy connection and the other two had slow connections.