Wireless Internet System. High speed

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
canton_kid
Golden Member

Wireless Internet System. High speed

Post by canton_kid »

New thread about the wireless networking Isp setup.

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/ if anyone wants to check out the details for it.

This looks like a good deal for those who can get it as a customer, if you have a clear view of the tower, if it is available in your area, and IF the ISP doesn't over price it!
Might be a good deal if you can afford set one up in an area with no options other than phonelines or a dish!

I called the tech support already.
Now I'll call about pricing sometime durring the week and get my socks knocked off with how much it costs to set one up most likely!

Some type connection is needed to the net, T1 Oc3 or what ever for the highspeed access. Darn I was hoping it was wireless straight to the back bone, but not! :(

This is basically line of site wireless networking (like a lan) with a 2 mile range (antenna for customer increases range to 10 miles) at 5.1- 5.7 ghz. Tech guy said not efeccted by weather, I asked about mist/fog, rain, snow ect. No iterference from other devices like cordless phones, local wireless lans etc.. supposedly.

Customer has about a 1.5mbs bandwith per unit, so if laned out like for a business (hotel?) the total bandwith for the lan is 1.5mbs max. Tower central unit has a 10mbs max combined sending receiving (I think That's what he said). SO that's 10mbs devided by the number of users actually using it activily at once.

So this thing should fly depending on number of users at one time :)
With a T1, how many should that be? Remember we are jumping from way less than 56k (like 33k) to highspeed!
Also I can add more units at the hub to increase another 10mbs as needed I beleave.

To set up more units to cover more distance backhaul (repeaters?) can be used. One unit set extends 20 mile range. Course you need the main unit and a tower also for each extension you set up. So basically you need everything all over again from scratch plus the backhaul devices, you just don't need the T1 at each tower that way, as I figure it.

Didn't think to ask about lag times or anythng like that as I mostly surf or download and upload. I don't do any online games so I never think of that type question. I'll have to check on that also, but if you go from 33k up to say 500k, does it really matter? I don't know since I don't play, so that's a serious question!

Now I wonder what it costs to buy this outfit and set it up??
Nearly $20 for a phone line and another $20 for an ISP, thats about $35- $40 for crappy dail up in our area! If I could offer Highspeed for $40 or $50 I could most likely get more users than the system would handle :)
I know a T1 was gonna cost me like $1500 a month, a year or two ago, that might be up or down now though.

So how many users should I figure on at like 10mbs transfers for one tower and using a T1 connection, so everyone stays happy with the high speed?

I'll be callng the sale departments for costs info this week. I always find stuff like this on weekends and holidays :(
I already have a nice chunk of land for my own tower :)
Maybe I can morgage it!
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>
Augix

Post by Augix »

interesting!
Heatware
swinada
Golden Member

Post by swinada »

http://www.isp-planet.com/fixed_wireles ... wi_fi.html

Canton Kid why dont you look through these pages. This is the system we have up here.
And I'm sure our ISP would be willing to give you some more info on what exactly they have and needed. email: sysop@pris.bc.ca
All the best from the west!

canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

Looks like this idea is cost effective and very worthwhile for my general area!

Good new, bad news, good news type deal though!

The above was the good news, the bad news, I paid my ISP in person today, they just set up the wireless about a week ago for a 3 mile range and testing it now!

Good news again, I will be at high speed in about 30-45 days for about $40 per month! If all goes well for em! I got to buy a modem for it for $100 for my system. But hey, phone and ISP is running me nearly $40 now and I can drop the phone so thats break even what I am paying now for dialup! Modem is nothing, one time charge, and I can dump the PCI phone line ones!

This is a virtual T1, has about 1.5Mbs, and they said they have no plans to limit or cut back on it like limit users to 512k or any limits on tranfers. SO if they get it to me, it works as it should, and so forth, I should be at 1.5mbs in a short time :)

Look out Kazza, Win MX, and Napster 2 :)

Just joking, don't care about those, but hey the wife can get those daily Ebay turbo lister updates in 3 seconds instead of 45minutes, and I can actually try some real sharware programs that are running 150M and up!

As for my thoughts on setting one up, well I'm not out of the ball bark yet, totally!
No need to set one up from home since I can get theirs, BUT they only go so far! I got half the rural area on the other side of me still with out it! At least for awhile!

From the sounds of it, though we are talking thoughsands, it is not too expensive for the equipment. We discussed several types they been looking at and the ones their using and such. Supposedly about $12,000 for the setup that has a 26 mile range! The systems with the 10 mile up to 20 mile are much less expensive I gathered. The shorter distance are line of sight, but I understand the 26 mile system is not, or at least not as touchy about being blocked some! Maybe a sky scraper would knock it out, but I unders standing is some buldings or trees and such will not hurt it.

So for any of you with a few thousand to invest in something, if you can get a T1 line into a rural area and set up a tower, you may have something very profitable? Definately worth looking into!

I'll be doing more studying on this myself! Anyone has helpfull links, I'll use em!
Canton_kid

spam bot food!