Mini Fridge?

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
Xeno
Goober Member

Mini Fridge?

Post by Xeno »

Ok... i had an idea about making a mini fridge case that still worked as a mini fridge...
it would be cold like 40ish still above freezing, would a processor still operate with those tempatures or is that too cold?
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

It would operate fine but you would have to worry about condensation. Not really worth it if you ask me...
Xeno
Goober Member

Post by Xeno »

hmmm... never even crossed my mind, crap... but other then that would it work fine?
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

not only that.. but a fridge is not meant to cool a heat sourse. You may put a plate of hot food in teh fridge, but that doesent produce heat. a computer does. so you might run into the proble of the computer making more heat then the fridge can remove. And yes you read that right.

A fridge does not make things cold by adding cold air. It actualy is simply put, a heat pump. it removes heat from the inside and moves it to the outside. Much like a heat pipe works. Think of a Heat pipe as a heatsink wiht out a fan... and a fridge as a HSF.
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

Pugsley you are 100% incorrect about that. Every single fridg that i have seen uses freon just like a AC would do. The freon is compressed to a gas which causes a lot of heat. The gas is them passed through a condesor which cools the gas back down. When this happens the gas goes back to a liquid form which then is very cold. It then goes to a radiator like this which has a fan blowing across is. Turning the warm air inside of the fridge into colder air. I have yet to see an actual heatpump used to cool anything. Every one of those i have seen is used for heating... As Nascarfool he does HVAC so he would have a better knowning of this but i can guarantee you a fridge is nothing like a heatpump...
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

actually when the working mideum is compressed it gets hot. then it goes through a restrictor and turns into a gas. the gas then absorbs the heat and moves back to the compressor and is squashed and realeses the heat in the radiator. That how i was told they work.

err... the liquid freon when in the raidator absorbs the cold... AHH... now im all screwd up.
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

Heat Pump - Absorbs heat from outside and leaves it inside in heating mode. In cooling mode it removes heat inside and leaves it outside.

Basic refrigeration:

Freon condenses to liquid in the condensor coil and evaporates to a vapor in the evaporator coil. A metering device is used at the evap coil, at that point the freon boils off to a vapor. A mini-fridge is designed to remove X amount of heat. Yes it would somewhat work if your comp was inside it but it would run non-stop.

R-22 boiling point at atmospheric pressure = -41ºF
R-12 boilng point at atmospheric pressure = -22ºF (about the same for R-134a)

Temps are off the top of my head. My pressure/temperature chart is at my place of employment.
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

As for creating cold or just removing heat, SInce a frigde makes ice my vote goes with creating cold.
Although either is probably technically correct. Removel of heat creats cold, creating cold removes heat. And most apliances simply create heat in one place while removing from another.

As for using a frigde to cool a system, I would think vent room air in past the cold coils, cold air into the system, hot air out of the system and frig through some type of vent.

Since water collects on a cold surface (not hot) I would think condensation would be on the cooling coils not the system. Venting the hot air from the system and frig would reduce the amount the amount of heat the frige has to cool. Thus it is basically only cooling the room air, not hot air comming from the system.

Of course it might be easier to just sit the system in front of an air conditioner, same affect :)

canton_kid
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>