Synching shared drives/folders in Win2k

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Splitfire
Golden Member

Post by Splitfire »

I have a few folders my machines that I keep backup copies of on a network drive mapped to the file server on my network (specifically MP3s, documents, etc...). I would like to have an easy way to backup the folders from my computer to the server without having to drag-and-drop the folders in explorer. Is there an easy way to synchronize these folders? or is DnD the best option? Thanks!
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

DnD (Drag n Drop) is about it. You can try playing with Briefcase which may work for you depending how you use it, but it's awkward. It's really designed for syncing files between a laptop and a workstation, assuming you only use one at a time.

The Windows help file on Briefcase is worthless - here's a good tutorial.

I backup a lot of files to a server (MP3, data, projects, client web sites) and I've never found anything better than DnD.

What really helps, though, is to organize your files in a sensible order, categorized in folders so it's easy to backup.

If you backup mission critical data like I do (client web sites, for instance) whenever I finish making changes on files for the day, I take the whole project's folder and DnD it into the server in a folder with the project's name, and then append todays date onto the sub folder. THis way I can always go back to previous version if there's something I require. When I have enough files to fill a CD I burn it and clear the files from the server.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

b-man1

synchronizing in w2k?

Post by b-man1 »

doesn't Win2000 have replication just like NT? maybe you need to run 2000 server for it, but i'm sure it has the same functionality. i don't have it setup anywhere to check, but look into that. NT would let you specify folders to replicate with (incoming and outgoing)...so that multiple servers across a domain would stay synchronized.