My Asus G751JT

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

My Asus G751JT

Post by Executioner »

I've been having some power issues with this laptop. The forum at Asus suggested replacing the small circuit board for the power, but it could also be the mobo. The issue: the power brick will disconnect for no apparent reason even just sitting at the desktop. The power brick checks out okay. It's a 230w brick. With it disconnected, the laptop runs off the battery which is now new also.

I decided to take it completely apart to look at at the small circuit board, and to replace the thermal paste since the laptop is 7 years old. Note that taking this laptop apart is time consuming.

Heat Pipe after removal:

Mobo after removing the heat pipe:

After I got the old thermal paste removed, I noticed on the resistors that they used grease, as it was soft and every pliable. Reviewing some web sites, some suggested using a thermal pad instead of grease or thermal compound.

I also used NT-H2 thermal paste instead of MX-4, but before I applied it, I polished the brass heat sink using Autosol metal polish. I then cleaned everything with 99% Alcohol. My temps now running Far Cry 3 with max settings is 79 Degrees C.

Here is that small power circuit board that I may replace, but that damn part costs $100 on ebay. Right now I'm testing the laptop to see if the power issue is there there. Sometimes, just taking it apart and putting it back together may fix it. Fingers crossed.