CPU fan running full speed all the time

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Nuby1Canuby

CPU fan running full speed all the time

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

My wife's old Q6600 PC Blue screened and after that you could hear a fan running obnoxiously loud all the time. I popped the side off and you could hear it was the CPU fan.

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the 4 pin fan cable but that made no difference. It's a small mid tower case with a snorkel on the fan so finding a replacement would be difficult.
I tried plugging the fan cable into the 3 pin connection for the case fan since that wasn't running loudly. The CPU fan was still running full speed all the time.

I reset the BIOS by moving the jumper to clear the CMOS. (side note: the PC won't boot when the jumpers are on pins 2 and 3 or when you put it back on pin 1 only instead of 1 and 2 for normal)

The CPU fan is running normal speed again.
Of course I nudged the cable for the SSD while doing this so it wasn't showing up in the BIOS. Moved the SSD cable to a different SATA connector, which seems to be a tighter fit and all is well again.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: CPU fan running full speed all the time

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sounds like something seriously glitched the CMOS memory. Did you check the CMOS battery? I've seen mobos act very strange when the voltage gets low.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "