Semi budget build

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Key Keeper

Semi budget build

Post by Key Keeper »

I recently was given an aged tower that was much better than my old clunker in garage. Prev owner couldn't get it to work, turns out the dvd drive was ruining discs during windows install...making them unbootable near end of install so files missing...ect.

Regardless its up and running well and a decent machine for home type stuff. I downloaded BF2 and some of my older games via origin and steam and now the gaming bug has bit me once again. I hate console controllers and after playing some servers on BF2 and BF4, I want to build something that will play destiny, and warzone. This machine just wont do it.

So looking at a ryzen 5 cpu, and 64gb of DDR3000 ram. But Im stumped on mobo choices. I dont know which chipsets are hot and whats junk. I dont want to spend a shit ton of money but also dont want some janky thing either. Ive been an asus guy for long time but will entertain other brands like MSI/Gigabyte ect.

What would be a decent board thats not overly priced? figure up to $250 for the mobo. Going to pick up a GTX1050 I think it should do just fine. Not playing at 4K or anything.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Semi budget build

Post by psypher »

I'm currently working on putting together an AMD build for my kid's birthday, it's on the higher end budget (CPU,MB,M.2), but a budget build based on what I've put together would be this:

Ryzen 5 3600 $172
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite $200 (next choice Gigabyte X570 GAMING X $170)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 $125 (if you REALLY want 64GB, then get 2 more 16)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB XC Gaming $220 (if you find a GTX1050, it might be like $150, but those have like maybe 2GB of memory)

I do recommend going with a Samsung M.2 drive, 970 EVO or Pro.
For PSU, I've been a long time fan Seasonic and Corsair.

For reference, I'm an Intel guy with ASRock motherboards. My build is like 3 years old, i7-7700K on an ASRock Taichi Z270 and I'll probably always be Intel based for my workstation, but several friends that have Ryzen builds have said great things about it. I figure I rather experiment with my son's gaming computer than my work computer :)

BTW, be patient, these Gigabyte motherboards are sold out everywhere unless you're willing to pay double to some guy in Israel lol, so have to check stores daily for new shipments.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I noticed that! Newegg is sold out on a lot of stuff. Found the Asus Tuf with x570 on ebay for around 260ish. I'd rather save with a gigabyte board though. Think 32gb of ram is enough for decent gaming experience? Ive been out of this for so long I dont know whats needed to play a typical FPS at medium settings 1080P. Thanks for the details, I will look into that. I may spring for a higher end vid card if I can get the gigabyte board. Trying to stay under $1k for tower minus case of course.

Where are you finding the 5 3600 for that price btw? NE is showing near 200 for it.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Key Keeper wrote:I noticed that! Newegg is sold out on a lot of stuff. Found the Asus Tuf with x570 on ebay for around 260ish. I'd rather save with a gigabyte board though. Think 32gb of ram is enough for decent gaming experience?
Yea 32GB is plenty. And if you go with 2x16 then you'll have 2 slots available if in the future you decide you want to add more.
Key Keeper wrote:Where are you finding the 5 3600 for that price btw? NE is showing near 200 for it.
Amazon and Newegg both showing $172.39 for me.
Key Keeper wrote:Trying to stay under $1k for tower minus case of course.
Looks like you would be around $1000. Hard to get exact price right now because some parts being out of stock. To compare, a higher end build starts getting close to $1800+
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/76DbzN

If you're looking for a new case, I'm a big fan of Fractal Design. When I got mine, the R5 was the current Define model. The R6 would be the mid size that follows mine. Looks like they have an R7 now that eliminated the drive cages and added SSD mounting points throughout the case.
Last edited by psypher on Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

16GB is more than adequate for gaming. Nothing I know of will use more than that. That said, if the price of 32 doesn't scare you, and you may use the rig for high-ram usage things like VMWare or Photoshop, then why not?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:16GB is more than adequate for gaming. Nothing I know of will use more than that. That said, if the price of 32 doesn't scare you, and you may use the rig for high-ram usage things like VMWare or Photoshop, then why not?
16GB is enough, but I feel you just have to baby sit it a bit. After Windows, Browsers, other apps, etc... you run a game and forget to close Chrome for example and it's sitting on a few gigs it starts to get annoying. But yes, 16GB is doable just depends on what else you run.

Me? I can't get away with less than 32GB. Without a game running, I'm using 15GB lol. If I had 16GB and wanted to run a game, I'd have to start closing things :)
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I close everything thats not essential when I game. I'd kill bf2hub if I could when playing BF2 but that wont work LOL.

You have a link to that cpu on the egg? Maybe I am looking at the wrong one.

Edit: Found it! I was looking at the 3.8ghz..duh.

This vid card any good?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-radeon-rx-5 ... 6814126370
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Key Keeper wrote:I close everything thats not essential when I game. I'd kill bf2hub if I could when playing BF2 but that wont work LOL.

You have a link to that cpu on the egg? Maybe I am looking at the wrong one.

Edit: Found it! I was looking at the 3.8ghz..duh.

This vid card any good?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-radeon-rx-5 ... 6814126370
Then just get 2x 8GB and save the $60 or so. You can always get another 2x 8GB later on.

Don't know much about that video card. I'm pretty much an EVGA NVidia guy, that's all I've been buying for the last 10+ years
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Just ordered Ryzen 5 3600, gigabyte board B450 chipset instead of the x570. I may regret that later, but either way a step up and way cheaper. Ended up with an msi board, FX8350 and some ram so threw it together few weeks ago. Games much better, but still slow imo. Also picked up a second hand GTX1060 SSC 6GB for $100.

Going to transplant all of my current stuff into my stepsons machine. hes on old phenom II quad core that wont play squat.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well that was complete failure....

Mobo would not post in pcie 1. Had to put card in pcie 2 to get it to post. Updated the bios and it still wouldnt work. Tried everying and it just wont work. The warning LED is illuminated for AGP when using the x16 slot. Mem is on qvl, CPU is supported on the bios so Idk what hell was wrong with it. Of course they are out of stock now, so refunding and ordered an ASUS instead. Hope I have better luck with it. They paid for overnight shipping so maybe tomorrow I'll have it together.

ended up also getting nzxt H510i case and a samsung 500g M2 evo drive.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Need some help here.

So board number 2 looks like it may be bricked.

I am starting to think either the cpu is bad, or the nvme drive is screwing up the mobo.

When i Installed the nvme drive in M2_2 so it wouldnt limit my pcie 1 slot to 8x, it doesnt show in bios anywhere. I then moved the nvme drive to M2_1 and no video signal upon restart. Took the NVME back out and no video signal on pcie slot 1. The only way it will post is if I put vid card in pcie slot 2 without the M2 drive installed, or to install the M2 in M2_2 slot and vid card in pcie 1. Its doing the exact same thing that the gigabyte board did that I just shipped back.

I know the M2 drives share lanes with the gpu so Im thinking this Samsung evo 970 is bricking the mobo somehow. OR the cpu is screwed. When i could get it to post, it was showing 65c idle temp on the CPU! wtf??

Thoughts? Ive already boxed up this new asus to RMA to the egg and ordered a new mobo. Going to take this nvme drive back to bestbuy for a refund. I dont have a way of testing the CPU in another system either.

Need your help fellas, I wont have much hair left after this.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I doubt it's a CPU issue. CPUs usually either work or don't and I honestly have never seen a dead CPU ever in my lifetime.

On Gigabyte dual NVMe boards I believe one slot uses more lanes than the other, which explains maybe why you're seeing a difference. On single NVMe mobos there's usually a setting in BIOS for how many lanes the drive uses. I think in your case you do need to put the MVMe in slot 2 so you can use the video card in PCIe 1. You need to just live with 8x.

I THINK that on some mobos in order to use an add-on video card, you need to accept it using 8 PCIe lanes. There's no way to use 16 and an NVMe. That's not an issue. Benchmarks show that there's really very little difference between using 8 and 16 lanes on a GPU.

Have you tried contacting the mobo manufacturer?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well my issue is it will NOT post in pcie 1 even without nvme drive installed now, like the lane is dead or the cpu is not reading the vga commands. Both boards did same thing.

Ive googled my butt off and tried every setting in the bios. I ran it a little while ago and the bios reported 70c idle temps. Im starting to think this cpu is the problem. I have a buddy with the exact same cpu and hes going to bring his tower over monday and try his cpu in my board and vice vs. Already took that samsung nvme drive back, as I read too many problems with it. I'll just stick with my crucial SSD for now.

LIke the gigabyte board, now the vga light is on solid when I use pcie 1. Pcie 2/3 are controlled by the chipset, pcie 1 is by cpu. Its really starting to point to the cpu at this point
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

If i set pcie to raid it posts on pcie 1 slot, but in bios says there is no vga detected. The vcore was on auto and at 1.48v hence the high temps. I manually set it to 1.35v and temps dropped a small amount but not much. Guess I'll now more on Monday.

I have tried 3 known good video cards and they all do the same thing. Tried dvi instead of DP or HDMI as well. Tried loading setup defaults in bios, same thing. Something is wrong with the pcie controls on the board or the cpu just cant see the vid card.

Board is out of case on static bag, with just power, one stick of ram, and vid card. No hdd plugged in, no usb stuff ect. I am manually shorting the 2 pins on the header to turn on.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Newegg has really gone downhill.