Ultra Thin LED Under Cabinet LED Lights mini-review

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Ultra Thin LED Under Cabinet LED Lights mini-review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

These are very thin profile LED under cabinet lights. They're about the thickness of two coins and the 3 light kit sells for $26 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6ZP7JK/

As you can see from the photos, I installed this in my office book case. Even though you can see the light on the top shelf, it doesn't glare at you as most of the light defuses down. I bought the 3-light kit. They also make a 2 light kit, but I don't see it on the store right now, just the 2 light kit. You don't want to add lights to the two light kit as the power supply isn't big enough at 1 amp. The 3 light kit comes with a 2 amp power supply (each light draws half an amp so you could probably link 4 lights, but I would hate to push a power supply to it's max specs).

The lights daisy chain together with 19 inch long, thin, flat link wires it comes with that use with. Those were too short for my purpose so I also ordered the 6 foot link wires, however if you're handy with a soldering iron you can easily extend the 19 inch wires yourself with some thin wire from an old wall wart transformer, and some heat shrink tubing, which I did end up doing for one because I broke off the connector on one of the 6 foot links.

While the wire coming from the dimmer is thicker (like a laptop power supply wire) the link wires are thin and flat and easy to fish through the gaps between shelves and hide. I adhered the wires to the tops of the shelves with some thin strips of black 3m double sided tape and drilled a small hole in the back of the book case for the power supply line.

The dimmer is mechanical, not electronic, so wherever you set it, it will stay even after a power failure.

They look very nice - they look a lot like the commercial light kits I've seen installed at a high-end cigar store in town, in their humidor.

I can't speak for longevity, but I purchased a second kit for spares.

Pros: Thin profile, easy to mount with the included double-sided tape (which is white but not noticeable). Looks good, pleasant light even when you can see the fixture. Mechanical dimmer so they won't reset after a power failure like the electronic touch dimmers.

Cons: The connectors on the link cables (especially the 6 foot link cables) are rather cheaply made and will break on you when you pull them out of the socket if you're not careful. I broke one while testing the lights before snaking the wires between the shelves. It would be nice if the link cables it came with were longer but then again, most people will probably use these side by side.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Ultra Thin LED Under Cabinet LED Lights mini-review

Post by Err »

Those look great.
normalicy

Re: Ultra Thin LED Under Cabinet LED Lights mini-review

Post by normalicy »

I've eyeballed these a few times. But I just ended up grabbing a roll of LEDs and making my own.