Don't you just hate it when...

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Don't you just hate it when...

Post by Executioner »

Your fixing a desktop pc which does not boot - hangs at BIOS screen. It looked like and sounded like the HD, so I fire up SpinRite and it finds sectors that it can't read. I let it run all night. In the morning, I take a look at the progress, and it's only at 7%. WTF? All the sectors it corrected were shown as recovered. Hum...

So I stop it and decide to restore an old 1 year image I had on another spare HD. My backup program could not see the HD, even though it was shown in the BIOS bootup screen. Hum...

The root cause? BAD CABLE!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Don't you just hate it when...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah. I always try replacing the cable and spraying the connectors with contact cleaner before trying to refresh a drive. On rare occasions it's even possible to corrupt the data by trying to run Spinrite on it with a bad cable.

Admittedly this is rare with SATA cables, because since they're serial they usually either work or they don't. This used to be a much bigger problem with the old IDE cables.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Don't you just hate it when...

Post by Losbot »

Aww, man!! I would have been PISSED OFF for sure. Glad you found the problem though.