Did Win7 Break Something?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Nomad

Did Win7 Break Something?

Post by Nomad »

Okay so for the past couple of days I have been on the quest to get myself a new lappy for free. Pretty much my younger sister had a Toshiba Satellite L305D sitting in the closet because the keyboard kept breaking on it and the parents had bought her a new one anyways.

So, I, knowing that the lappy is much better than the one I use, go to reformat and get it all back up in order. Here's the problem however...

Firstly, I install Ubuntu 11.04 (just because) from USB, formatting and overwriting the install on harddrive, making it the Primary and only OS install. Yaddah yaddah I had enough fun so now I wanted to install XP Pro 64bit (it has an AMD Turion X2 - 64bit). Everytime during setup/install process (all from USB as I had no blank media to burn the installs to) there would be an error, no matter what I did (tried many things, different versions, disk formatted, etc. etc.). So, now I go onto Windows 7 64bit. I made the bootable USB, everything fine, setup starts once I booted from USB. BUT, when choosing the disk to install Windows to setup would error stating "windows was unable to create/location partition". Again, booted from other USB drive and did various tries of formatting, wiping, etc. Now, when I tried again to install Windows 7 I chose option of "repair your computer". All told, now I believe my lappy thinks the drivers for the CD/DVD are actually ethernet controllers.

Someone help me... Ubuntu won't even install/boot again from USB and that has NEVER failed me until now.

BTW I did do some research and somehow Windows has a problem of completing setup if there are other HD's attached to your computer or even USB drives and I have yet to figure this out but at the moment can only hope for successful install from USB as the computer now thinks the CD/DVD is an ethernet controller.

P.S. The laptop was originally setup with Vista
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I do not REALLY know what just happened BUT I let Ubuntu run from the USB for quite some time, just sat at the syslinux boot screen for a long time, finally just shut down the computer. However, I redid the USB to Win 7 again and for whatever reason, maybe boredom?, tried to install again. This time when I chose the disk to install on (usually would say the error message) it just proceeded like it should. Needless to say I am almost all done with first setups of the laptop.... craziness.