Google yanks over 50 infected apps from Android Market

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
renovation

Google yanks over 50 infected apps from Android Market

Post by renovation »

Google has pulled more than 50 malware-infected apps from its Android Market, but hasn't yet triggered automatic uninstalls of those programs from users' phones, security experts said today.

"The apps were 'Trojanized,' for a better word," said Tom Parsons, a senior manager with Symantec's security response team. "With the phones being 'rooted,' the attacks can do almost anything, including pulling data off the phone," he said, referring to the malware's ability to gain root access to the devices.

full story here-----http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... 2011-03-02
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

ouch. glad I'm still a talker and texter.
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Same policy for email: you don't know it dont even open it. Pretty much, do not install apps which ask for network permissions, read/write access, etc. etc. unless you know why it asks for it or you know the app is fine / where or who it is from.

I kind of feel special as I had a long long while back installed Lookout on my Droid X but I had always thought it was for naught and the app really wasn't protecting too too much. A at least feel a little better about the app and my Rooted X for that matter.

:fuzz
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ohh and thanks for this Ren as I may not have seen this or been able to spread the word as I just did on a few other places.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

People may bitch about how locked down iOS is and how strict Apple is about vetting everything in their iPhone store, but this is why.

This is going to be a real problem. IMO Android phones are for geeks who know what they're doing. The problem is you have complete noobs buying the things and installing anything with no regard for security.

The noobs should stay on the iPhone.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

renovation

Post by renovation »

i'll keep my crackberry thank you !
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, Android is like the Windows of the phone world. I do give credit though that Google is at least checking these things. I'm not much of an app freak, so as of yet, I've only got about 5 over the default in the Cyanogen mod.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

haters!!!! hahaha
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I've only installed 5 apps on my Droid phone, and I've had mine for almost a year. The phone already comes with a boat load of applications. I never saw the need to install more than just a hand full.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have an iPod touch (still using my trust old Red Moto Razr as a phone) but honestly I don't think I've installed more that 6 apps: Amazon reader, GoodReader, a conversion app, Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, and Google Maps.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Qui Gon-Jinn
Golden Member

Post by Qui Gon-Jinn »

I use my Moto Droid for EVERYTHING.. and now my Rooted and Modded Nook Color as well.

I have a shit ton of apps. I use them daily. Things like Shazzam and Foursquare as well as MeCanTo have icons on my home screen. Wireless Tether for my phone so I can kick it over to a wifi hotspot in a bind. I use a 3rd part Twitter client, I use 3rd part SMS program. Shit even my homescreen launcher program is an add on. Google has supplied us with the basics of a good mobile OS. Now take developers and it becomes the best mobile OS.

On that note.. I usually don't install anything that I have not seen used by reputable people on good sites like XDA-Developers or SomethingAwful.

Just because I am an a$$hole.. doesn't mean I don't care..

FCKGW RHQQ2 YXRKT 8TG6W 2B7Q8