60mm to 70mm Adapter

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Pugsley

60mm to 70mm Adapter

Post by Pugsley »

Does anybody know of a company that makes/sells them. I have a HS that takes a 60mm and have a 70mm YS fan that I want to put on it and dont feel like machining my own (that and i dont really have acess to a shop).
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Google

The first hit, but it says outta business :(
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

I've seen a bunch of places selling fan adapters. DOn't know what sizes they are?

bestbyte.net, directron.com, both have fan adapters and I have dealt with and liked them.

I think svc.com had a lot of them too, haven't bought there yet though myself.

I think one of those 3 places had an adapter you could use several size fans on.

I haven't needed one so I hadn't really paid close attention to them, yet :)

I think svc.com had them in neon and UV.
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

nope... none of them places had them. I think im just going to have to make my own.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

If you make your own, might not be to hard to make out of plexy.

Haven't tried it myself. It might work though.

make a frame out of a heat resistent material like wood? Yea, should work ok.

My thought is sandwich a piece of plexy between two frames the size of your fan to hold the outside edges flat, leave the center open. Then sit the heatsink in the center of the plexy for weight. Sit over metal bowl and bake about 450 degrees, checking regularly. Remove when golden brown or toothpick comes out clean, oops sorry wrong reciepe :)
Ok back on track,
When the plexy gets warm enough it should start to bend down under the weight of the heat sink.
If this works as it should and I think it will, you should be able to get a nicely formed plexy fan reducer.
The plexy should kinda wrap around the heatsink and taper to the frame which is the size of your fan. The frame should hold the plexy straight and smooth around the edges and make a flat flange you can bolt/screw the fan too.

If it works ok then just cut out the center to fit the heatsink and drill holes for mounting screws.

I know some people shape and mold plexy in there kitchen ovens, use heat guns, and even heard of boiling it to make it soft to bend. So you might be able to make a nice reducer with it easely too?
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

all im gonna do is take somthing boar out a hole for the air... then put the holes to mount it. and countersink the holes to bolt it to the HS so the fan blades dont hit the screws.
Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

yeah, I searched high and low.....but it looks like NO ONE has or sells a 60mm->70mm adapter.
They are all 80 to 60.

i think 70 is kinda a odd number anyways :p
Gone for good. But never say never
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

Well, yea that would probably work too, if you want the easy way out :)
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

And do that i did! take a looky!! I own the only known to man 60mm to 70mm LIGHTED adapter (lights arent in it yet). Ill get some more pics when i put it on... then more when i light it up. Let me know what you think... im working on gettin them CNC machined, so it wont take 2 hours to make.
Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

sweet deal dude
Gone for good. But never say never
Sean

Post by Sean »

Wow, that looks sharp. Choose your LEDs wisely, though. You've got a crapload of em. :D

Very sweet looking. Specially with the silver TMD fan. :)
- Sean
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

im selling my ElCamino this week.. when i do im gonna order about 3-400 new LEDs. 100 of them will be the color changing ones... so ill probbly put some on that.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Just what you need, more LED's :D

Hey, speaking of LEDs, do you have any that would fit in my Antec case? i want to replace my Power LED with either red/blue and make my HDD light either red/blue as well. Whatever color each one has, basically, i need one red and blue. Something that isn't too bright either. :)
- Sean
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Isnt too bright isnt what i do. what size are they on the case? i never seen one so i dont know... they are probbly 3mm. if so i can get (have) red ones and blue (have to order some). but they will be bright.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

been awhile... like too long... so here is a video of the finished product in action... looks much better in person. you can ask AT and nexus_7 they have seen it.

about 3.25 megs

let me know what you think. I might be selling it some time soon.