Can I operate my PC from my living room?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Solstice
Golden Member

Can I operate my PC from my living room?

Post by Solstice »

I just started thinking about this the other day and the more I think about it, the more I want to try it so here it goes....

Can I operate my PC from my living room? Can I simultaneously connect 2 sets of I/O devices (video, sound, mouse and keybaord)?

Let me elaborate a bit on my plans for connecting each device...

VIDEO: My video card has both VGA and DVI out. I will leave the monitor connected at my desk. I will also run a long DVI cable from the computer to the TV. In theory it should work fine.

SOUND: My sound card has a digital SPDIF output and my living room receiver has lots of digital inputs. No problem there.

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: This is where things get wierd. I would purchase both a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard for the living room, of course. My current devices are USB. Will Windows XP freak out if you simultaneously connect 2 keyboards and 2 mice? Will it work? Or should I look for some sort of device that allows you to select between USB devices?

Thanks for any thoughts on this one.
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

I have ran 2 mice at once... was using a Wireless intelli explorer but didn't like how it gamed so i had my wired explorer hooked up as well... not sure about the keybaord thing but i'm sure it should work just fine. Just be sure to get a keyboard and mouse that is radio wireless and no IR...
Solstice
Golden Member

Post by Solstice »

Ahhh... that's a good point. I never thought about that.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can have a USB and PS/2 keyboard at the same time - ditto for mice.

Mos twireless mice really do suck for gaming, but that new Logitiech wireless seems to work well (the MX700 I think).
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.