I'm TIRED OF DIALUP... HELP!!!!

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback

what connection is best?

DSL (great if you have a good backbone ISP and good lines. i have neather)
45%
Cable (humm. shared connection still fast tho)
50%
satilite (uhh. ok..... crappy ping)
No votes
ISDN (god knows why...)
5%

Total votes: 20

knightofnee1112

I'm TIRED OF DIALUP... HELP!!!!

Post by knightofnee1112 »

I am really getting irritated with all this dialup buisness.. constant ping spikes. dropped packets, slow download speeds. unrelyable. to top it off. it's NOT MY ISP! IT'S THE PHONE LINES! the lines are in such bad condistion that it's nearly impossible to play online games. or get online in general.. it's so bad.. Pac Bell wont garentie a connections speed.. your heard me right.... not even 9,200bps!!! I connect at 19,200 with my spiffy 33.6 external modem (us robotics Sportser).. anyway now you somewhat see why i am pissed. heres the kicker..

I can't get ISDN
i can't get DSL
i can't get cable
i can't get satillite
i can't get jack shit...

so.. what is a poor bastard like me to do? i can't move.. we've not enough money to move.. they aren't planning to bring ANYTHING out here within the next 5 years.. so waiting it out is unacceptable.. I could get satillite, but ping is so high, i wouldn;t be able to play games online anymore.. i could get t1 out here if i sold my soal to the devil.

so i ask you.. what can i do?! is there a type of connection i may be able to get? multilink DOES NOT HELP, period. i still have the same problems..

PLEASE HELP! IS THERE A CONNECTION THAT I CAN GET OUT HERE?! HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

getting all worked up over it wont help. but, not good for heath.. please hurry, for my health.
Heatware: knightofnee1112
AIM: poobmasta
LTrain

Post by LTrain »

Time to move for the bandwidth, dude. Around here, cable gets you the fastest connection. DSL all relies on distance from the station, and even if you're close, you still won't get as fast as cable. I've maxed out my cable at night, two FTP transfers, one @ 130kb/s, the other at 70kb/s. Who knows, I may have even gotten more! Also, don't even bother with satellite or ISDN. Both are way too expensive for the bandwidth. In fact, anyone who signs up for ISDN service should be kicked in the head.

Larry
LoneWolfX1X

Post by LoneWolfX1X »

after years of lamenting my poor location (middle of NH...jesus most ppl dont even know where NH is....) I decided to recruit some friends for a grassroots campaign against the cable co.

3 times a week all 12 of us would call and ask about cable internet access. After about a year they decided out of the blue to off free wiring upgrades to all cable customers as a tentative move towards inet access.

Well small business owners in particular jumped on it like rabid weasels (I work in a convenience store with 2 dsl and 1 cable line :eek: )

I used their 512/128 line for about a year and then verizon caught wind of the broadband explosion here and decided to offer dsl.

Now I have a 1.5/384 for 80/month.

yeah I pay too much and get too little upload but by some incalculable miracle I'm only hundreds of feet from the CO so I see dls upwards of 200K....well worth a few phonecalls and some patience.

I just hope my newfound love of er...hubbage...doesnt blow it for me :D
2.4b@2934
Asus P4B533
512 Corsair XMS @ cl2/2/2/5
Crucial R9700Pro 360/720
WD800BB
TBSC

<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php4?id=385">My Heatware</a>

<a href="http://www.beerology.com/ars/view.cfm?arsID=LoneWolfX1X">My Beerology</a>
Karchiveur
Golden Member

Post by Karchiveur »

knightofnee1112
I know what you mean I CAN'T GET ANYTHING OUT WHERE I LIVE (only 56k)
(just ask Demrok ;) )

but there is a way out!!!! (i think)
i have heard of peeps putting 2 56k modems together or something like that, but i am looking into it.

until thaan we suffer :(

Jordan
First person ever Banned from 3dmaxx.com
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Dial-Up Sucks..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Knight of Nee... First off let me say.. Wicky Icky Icky! lol.. Anyways.. I too and stuck out in the boonies. I am about 14 miles from the nearest possible cable lines which, to my knowledge, are not Fibre-Optic. Therefor No Cable Modem. If I'm that far from cable, you can only guess what my luck is with DSL. So I guess until these company's decide to fork out some extra dough we're all stuck on NO GO! Which SUX! But if the whole combining modems things works, I'd like to know more about it. I have more than one 56k modem laying around that I would definatly expreiment with joining to speed up my connection. Don't they call it modem bonding? I also remember something, mind you it was for a lappy but who knows, by motorola. It was a PC-Card modem but it downloaded with radio waves? Or something like that? I don't even know if PC-Card modems will work in a desktop w/a PC-Card reader, if they do, I'm gonna go out and buy a PC-Card reader so I can use some of my lappy's cards on my desktop. Well, hope we Dial-Up people can find something soon. eGo
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

Missery loves company, welcome friends!

Yep me too, dial up, rural area no options.

As far as the multieple modems, bonding, dual access or whatever it's called. Big problems!

First you need 2 modems and slots to put them in or serial ports. 2 phone lines to call out on. An ISP that supports the option ( I've heard they don't all) and if you get all that, the ISP will most likely charge for 2 accounts (your using 2 of their incomming lines to call in)!

So for instance if your like me, and if I could do it with my Local ISP we are looking at about $30-$40 phone bill, $36 at one ISP or $40 at the other ISP for 2 accounts.

This is $66-$80 per month, and what do you get? Twice the crappy connection! If your running at say 28,800 now on a phone line then at best you might get up to 56k using two lines.

Now, for around $80 or close to it, is 56k worth it? Also will it work? Probably NOT! First WINDOWS has to manage 2 modems at the same time, correctly. What happens if you lose connection on one line durring a up/down load? If a site needs to reverse resolve your ISP address what happens?

For awhile I used a Direct PC Satilite dish. It was one way, call in on modem, download on dish. Sure the downloads were fast, but it did not always work. For instance I had a website, I could not use the dish or even have the dish software running and be able to upload to my own site. The server could not reverse resolve the Address! If I was online with the dish active, I could disable it in software to go up/down by modem instead. BUT, even that did not work for an address problem. I would have to hang up completely, shut down the dish manger program, call in modem only in order to upload my files to my site. That was when I told them to shut it off! I had other problems with it too.

The point is though, what would happen with two modems and two addresses. Long as your not uploading to a website by FTP or trying to get to your site manager you might be ok. But what about these sites that track your ISP address like when your on that secure server entering in your credit card info? Will it log two ISP addresses or just abort?

Course were still back at the bottom line of nearly $80 for a conection around 56k!
You'd have no other use for that second ISP account, but if you already have a second phone line and just want a temp 2 modem linkup just when you need it, then you might not need to count the cost of the extra line. But if your going to use it all the time, you need to count it since you won't be using it for anythng else like voice or fax.

I never tried doing it because of the costs and slow speeds, plus I seldom had 2 available slots for modems :)
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>
knightofnee1112

Post by knightofnee1112 »

Welp.. the duel modem thingy is called "miltilink" and some of your comments canton_kid do make sence... from what i understand those problems aren't there.. but consider this...

My max download speed is 1.5KB/sec
My max upload is 1.2KB/sec
I connect at 19,200 (today i got 21,000!! YAY!)
having two modems running at once would be nice.. but like you said Ltrain anyone who buys ISDN should be kicked in the head.. welp. multilink is worse then a kick in the head..

BTW if you wonna set up multilink (in windows 98) right click on the multilink tab in your dialer proggy... add both your modems, configure them the same.. from what i understand.. having two of the same modem helps alot..

I heard about this kinda connection that uses the same thing that direct TV (satillite) but at a higher frequencey and it does it at faster pings... most peole havn't heard of it.. and almost no companies are buying into it... bummer, i would be willing to get "wireless cable" (basicly what it is...)

anywho.. off i go to play Day of defeat (halflife mod) YAY!
Heatware: knightofnee1112
AIM: poobmasta
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Are there any large transmitter towers near you? if you can plainly see one from the roof of your house, go to it and see who owns it. then proceed to drill them about wirelss connection and the such. If its any help. i have a pair of untested laser transmitters that i could sell cheap. From what i was told about them, they are a 10Mbs and have a 2 mile range. they have BNC connectors on them for the net connection.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

Ok well misery here I come! I have a slightly different problem though, it's called a cheap ass wife! :( Right now I only pay $10 bucks a month for dial up but my phone lines suck. My wife, who holds the purse, can't fathom $50 bucks a month for internet service. To top it off, Service Electric and RCN both have fiber sitting in front of my house for cable and 20 feet, yes I did say 20 feet, is the main Verison switching station! :( When I do play online (before the sqirrels got to the lines), I was yelled at for being a high bandwidth player on dial-up rooms. Now I can't get past 33.6 connection.

I got to find a way to get more money. :(
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing
matt719

Post by matt719 »

you could get like 50 dial-ups and jimmy rig them on a network... 50 phones lines too, it would be easier to move. I wouldn't move for broadband (i have in my area) unless it's actually important to something important in life (business, i.e. not playing jack off games online). Just wondering... how is satlilite not avalible? Wouldn't the satilite dish orbit just as close to you as to anyone for the most part? Although, from what i hear it's trash. If there's like one cloud over the Amazon it doesn't work. Cable is best, and as long as you have a good ISP it's more reliable than DSL. I hate all that "it's lines give you dedicated bandwidth." It's bull... you still share a backbone, it's not like they give everyone their own OC-3. Also, cable is faster and cheaper. For $50 a month i get 1.5Mb down (never goes below) and 786k up (very, very generous bandwidth). My small town has it's own OC-12 with Charter Commications, and the only time my cable goes down is when the electrical transformer blew up down the street. Basically, i get a T1 (nearly) for $50 a month. If you really want bandwidth and have money to spend, just get a T1, or a fractional T1. Both are expensive, but dedicated.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Originally posted by Gand1
Ok well misery here I come! I have a slightly different problem though, it's called a cheap ass wife! :( Right now I only pay $10 bucks a month for dial up but my phone lines suck. My wife, who holds the purse, can't fathom $50 bucks a month for internet service. To top it off, Service Electric and RCN both have fiber sitting in front of my house for cable and 20 feet, yes I did say 20 feet, is the main Verison switching station! :( When I do play online (before the sqirrels got to the lines), I was yelled at for being a high bandwidth player on dial-up rooms. Now I can't get past 33.6 connection.

I got to find a way to get more money. :(
Next time your wife wants to buy a pair of shoes, tell here no until you get a fast connection.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm able to connect at 48.8 99% of the time. The other 1% is at 46.6. I live in a fairly large town with a population of ~75k, but still no cable or DSL. Every time I called, it's in the works, but they have no idea when. I want to get out of the 20th century and be on broadband. Jeez, even 3rd world counties have DSL and cable.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

How's this for weird...

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Check this out.. I ALWAYS connect at 115200 when I dial up to my ISP. Mind you, it's only capable of 56k. And I have downloads that peak around 3.9k but are usually steady at 2.7k and I live in the BOONIES! Any idea how I can connect at that speed? lol.. I know the phone lines nor my ISP can support it. Just thought I'd share that tidbit.. Take it any way you can get it.. lol.. j/k :D
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

eGo,

I hate to tell you but that is your port speed connection not your dial up. You most likely are using generic drivers for your modem, so it doesn't report the connect speed. Sorry to burst your bubble. :(
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing
eGoCeNTRoNiX

I'm In Trouble! You BURST MY BUBBLE! :D

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey Gand1, No biggy.. lol.. I'm glad I know why the dial up connections always show that. I found it kind of strange. I did update the drivers one time and it slowed it down to my norm which is like 19300-24000.. But even if it's a false hype, I like it showin' me connected at 115200~ lol.. And I don't notice a dif. in the xfer rate with either the updated or generic drivers so I'm not too worried about it.. lol eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Executioner
Life Member

Re: How's this for weird...

Post by Executioner »

Originally posted by eGoCeNTRoNiX
Check this out.. I ALWAYS connect at 115200 when I dial up to my ISP. Mind you, it's only capable of 56k. And I have downloads that peak around 3.9k but are usually steady at 2.7k and I live in the BOONIES! Any idea how I can connect at that speed? lol.. I know the phone lines nor my ISP can support it. Just thought I'd share that tidbit.. Take it any way you can get it.. lol.. j/k :D
The reason that you get the DTE speed because Windows reads the INF file for modem connection speeds. If it does not find the connection speed that your modem connected at, it will report the DTE speed instead of the DCE speed.