The realms of lost mobos

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
cyborgbuddy
Genuine Member

The realms of lost mobos

Post by cyborgbuddy »

Can anybody help me.

My friend asked me to take a look at his computer (it's prehistoric).

The motherboard is a SOYO 5BT(2A) and it has a Pentium 200MHz CPU on it. The mobo still uses Baby AT form factor.

I can't find a manual for this board, even on the Soyo website, which only seems to list mobo's with ATX, Baby ATX and Micro ATX form factors. Can someone point me in the right direction, or better still email me the manual?

What my friend wants to do with this pc I have no idea but he wants to know if it can be modified in any way, shape or form. Does anybody know if it's possible to overclock the P200 and if so what is the best method?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

:)
Rig 1
AMD Athlon XP2400+ @ 2100Mhz on Gigabyte GA-7DXR+
Thermaltake Volvano 7+ HSF with Artic Silver 3
512Mb PC2100 RAM with Thermaltake Ramsinks
GeForce4 Ti4400 with Thermaltake GF4 cooler and ramsinks @ 310Mhz x 625 Mhz
Lian Li PC6083A case with Lian Li windowed side panel and bloo cold cathode

Rig 2
AMD Athlon XP2100+ @ 1820Mhz on Abit KD7
Thermaltake Volcano 7+ with Artic Silver 3
256Mb PC2100 RAM
Nvidia MX440 64Mb @ stock with Thermaltake Ramsinks
Lian Li PC60
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

Here's a link for ya. There is Rev. 1.1 and Rev. 2.0 http://www.motherboards.org/manuals/p/S ... /2647.html
cyborgbuddy
Genuine Member

Post by cyborgbuddy »

Thanks Nascar!

I didn't even think to look at motherboards.org!

D'oh!!
Rig 1

Rig 2
256Mb PC2100 RAM
Lian Li PC60
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The P200 was NOT overclockable if I remember. I know the 166 was - it would easily clock to 200 and most people suspect it was a 200 that failed quality control.

Besides, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Only thing that will help is adding more memory IF he currently has less than 64 Mb. If it's older 72pin Dim memory, though, it's probably not worth wasting the money.

If he wants a cheap upgrade, and doesn't need a modern CPU, some companies like PcChips (Ugh!), MSI, Asus and a couple of others make AT form factor mobos that run more modern Intel socket 370 or FC-PGA CPUs. They're getting harder to find though.

Asus by far would be one of the better mobos. I did a quick check and found a good deal on an Asus ME99B bundles with a Celeron 366 and onboard sound for $55: http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_mb_me99bc366VS.html

NOTE: I've never ordered anything from these guys, so I can't tell you anything about them. I'd check their reseller ratings here: http://resellerratings.com/

Celery 366 will still be low end but it'll be a hell of a lot faster than what he has now - easily more than double the performance. If he's mostly using desktop apps (and I doubt he's play Quake3 on that rig) then he'll be more than happy with it.

He'll probably need some memory too since his old board probably doesn't use SDRAM. If so, PC66 SDRam is pretty cheap - I recommend Crucial.com. He may walk away with an upgrade for $80 (and I would hope he takes you out to dinner if you do the upgrade for him).

Post here if you don't know the trick to wipe Win98's (I hope he's running Win98?) device managerbefore swapping the mobos and someone will post detailed instructions.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

cyborgbuddy
Genuine Member

Post by cyborgbuddy »

Thanks for the tips FP.

I managed to get the p200 clocked at 233MHz but I had to use my old mobo (Gigabyte GA-5AX) to do it. It seems stable enough though. I can't make the old SOYO mobo do anything other than underclock!!

He is running win98 (albeit VERY slowly) and theres 32MB of RAM in there. I had some old 72 pin Dims lying around (only 16meg) so I've stuck that in to give him 48. It still runs like a one legged dog on 60 a day though.

I don't know the Win98 device manager trick that you're referring to - maybe as you say someone will post the details here.

I'll ask him exactly what he wants this thing to do and he may well go for a cheap upgrade. Let's face it he'd be far better doing that wouldn't he??

Thanks for your help once again you guys!!

PS can someone post the details for that Win98 device manager trick? Thanks!!
Rig 1

Rig 2
256Mb PC2100 RAM
Lian Li PC60
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Run REGEDIT and delete the entire registry entry called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum. This will essentially wipe your Device manager clean, forcing Windows to redetect all devices upon the next bootup.

There's a few gotchas when you move a hard drive with an exist OS installed to a new motherboard. 98 & ME usually handles the move flawlessly, but you need to take some precautions.

Before making the switch you should backup your boot partition or at least the registry. If anything goes wrong you want to be able to restore Windows to the same exact state it's in right now and use the old hardware. If you have Norton Ghost and your boot partition is not too big and you have room for it on another partition or another drive, make an image of the boot partition (compressed, the image will be about half the size of the data on the partition).

If you can't do this, then at least backup the registry. As long as you don't delete any driver files, restoring the registry will put the system back the way it was.

Easiest way to do this is using Microsoft's Emergency Recovery Utility (ERU). It's on the 95 CD (not on the 98 CD curiously, although it works fine with 98). You can download it here: http://soldcentralfl.com/quakecoop/files/eru.zip

Put it in a folder and execute ERU.EXE. Save the registry to either the hard drive or a floppy, doesn't matter. ERU will make a folder called ERD (or whatever you name it). If you run the ERD.EXE file in it from a DOS boot, it will restore your registry.

If you have ME use the System Restore utility to save a restore point.

Before the switch, you need to do a few things so Windows won't be confused when you boot up with the new OS:

- Run REGEDIT and delete the entire registry entry called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum. This will essentially wipe your Device manager clean, forcing Windows to redetect all devices.

- When Win98 boots on the new motherboard for the first time, it won't have CD drivers installed yet and won't find the CD so you need to make sure the CAB files are on the hard drive. If you haven't done it already, copy all the CAB files from the Windows CD to the hard drive (just copy the whole Win98 folder on the CD to the root of drive C - in the future whenever Windows asks for the Win98 CD, just point it to the Win98 folder on the drive).

- If there's any special drivers for the motherboard (there may be one for the controller and if it's a VIA chipset there may be several), make sure it's ready to go on a floppy or unzipped into a folder you can easily find on the drive. Don't rely on a CD copy as the CD may not be detected when Windows needs the drivers.

- Have a copy of the video card drivers handy also as it may ask you for it on initial bootup.

- Swap motherboards.

- ONLY install the video card. DO NOT install any other cards yet. This will go a LOT smoother if Windows doesn't have to detect a lot of new hardware in one go. Once all the motherboard devices are recognized you can install your cards.

When you startup with the new motherboard Windows will detect all the new motherboard devices and load drivers from the Windows CD (or the CAB files on the local drive if you copied them) as it sees fit. It will probably have to reboot several times to install everything - don't worry about it.

- Once it installs all the motherboard devices and reboots the last time, you MUST run the device installation wizard in "Add/Remove Hardware" in the Windows Control Panel. Windows does NOT automatically detect all motherboard devices on bootup (common mistake a LOT of people make and #1 reason why people have problems upgrading the motherboard).

- Sometimes Windows will have multiple keyboards and motherboard devices after a motherboard swap (one will probably have exclamation on it). If that happens, remove BOTH (removing one never works) and reboot and let it detect it again. You may need to run the Add/Remove Hardware wizard again.

- This usually goes smoothly. If, however, things are not going well up to this point then try re-installing Windows over itself (a refresh install - you won't lose anything). This will force Windows to redetect all hardware. I strongly recommend you run the Windows installer from a copy of the CAB files on the hard drive (see above) instead of from the CD as Windows may "lose" the CD during installation.

- Once Windows is working fine you can start installing the cards ONE BY ONE (not all at the same time). If you run into a resource conflict, it's MUCH easier to track it down if you install your cards one by one.

Since it's a new motherboard, you may run into a common problem called PCI IRQ Channel sharing (NOT the same as an IRQ conflict). Go here for more details: http://www.soldcentralfl.com/quakecoop/glfaq5.htm#5_9

Good luck!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

cyborgbuddy
Genuine Member

Post by cyborgbuddy »

Thanks for the detailed how-to, FP, It really helped!

Next question is - Can I strap a Cyrix MII 366 processor onto the Soyo SY-5BT mobo? I spotted one for sale for 25 quid plus shipping, so I suggested it to my buddy and he seems keen enough to go for it.

I'm failrly certain is should be OK, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks again!!
Rig 1

Rig 2
256Mb PC2100 RAM