Hard Drive Letter Assignments

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Hi guys,
I know this has been posted on the old AGN board, but I have a question regarding drive letter assignments. I currently have a 13 gig Maxtor that has a total of 3 drives: C, D, and E. It's the only hard drive in the pc. I want to add another hard drive, but I want to make sure it's letter assignment will be F. I don't know if it's possible because this will be a new physical hard drive. Comments?
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Just use FDISK to create an extended partition only (and then create one logical drive), this'll prevent driveletter hickups.

Driveletter assignment in (Win)Dos is first all primary on all HDD's, second all logical drives on all HDD's .... Win2000 is a little more flexible since it allows to assign letters freely for all drives but the system partition.
LikeLinus

Post by LikeLinus »

are you running win2k? its as easy if you are. Just go to your computer management (inside start/programs/administrative tools). Then click down to "storage" and then disk management. Then just right click on the drive at the top part..and press "Change drive letter and path" its simple! If you want to name it "F:" and there already is an f, you will have to rename the old F to something else before you can change the new one to it.

good luck
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks Doc. Yeah, I'm only running Win98.