From Intel to AMD

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
MAC
Golden Member

Post by MAC »

Sometime after the first of the year I'd like to try building my own system. The AMD processers are sure looking attractive with their low prices (1 GHz for ~$225.00). Right now I'm running an Intel 533 @ 800. What do I need to switch from an Intel system to an AMD system. I know I'm looking at a CPU (1 GHz), Motherboard, and maybe RAM. Is there anything else I'll need to buy? Also, which motherboard is the best for AMD CPUs?

I saw a special on on one site for an AMD setup; $289.00 for a Abit KT7 - TBird 1100 MHz (AMD Thunderbird 750 core unlocked and tested stable at 1100 MHz) and a Monster Dual air cooler/heatsink. I have no idea if this is a good price or not.

Are there any conflicts with the following equipment, I would like to use with an AMD system?

128 MB Micron PC-100 RAM (I know this probably will have to go)
IBM 10.1 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
Diamond MX-300 sound card
Creative Labs Annihilator Pro (This may change depending when the NV20 comes out)
Kingston Network card for DSL
generic floppy
Toshiba 40x CR-ROM
Addtronics 6890A Full Tower Case w/ 300 watt power supply.
Reg Kmet
Golden Member

Post by Reg Kmet »

bio will stand behind the Asus boards :) im going from an older k6-3 setup to an athlon, mobo and processor i be gettin, i think if yo ugo intel yo umay need some pc 133 ram..
Darkheart

===

Post by Darkheart »

You don't need anything special to go AMD just get an AMD mobo, AMD chip and you are away (current mobos use standard PC100 SDRAM). If I was you I would hang on a little longer for the DDR mobo's and DDR RAM to come mainstream. As this will mean you can run 266Mhz or 200Mhz FSB instead of 100Mhz FSB.

The only fully documented incompatibility with AMD and another piece of PC equipment is was with the early Irongategate boards (ASUS and some others) and the early Geforce boards. This was resolved ages ago (it was power problem with AGP slot) and I've not seen or heard any other problems since.

Personally I've been using Athlon's since launch and I've never had a problem with them and the certainly beat the crap outa Intel's offerings on price/performance and actually run a good deal more stable too at the higher clock speeds.

Welcome to the AMD fold...

Darkheart
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

i've been swapping stuff between my p3 system and my kt7 system without any appparent problem - depending on your need for speed you can buy an amd cpu and oc it yourself without buying a combo

the only thing you really have to watch is the power source - make sure you get at least 300w - compgeeks had a decent powermax for ~ 25
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Darkheart

Post by Darkheart »

He's already got a 300W PSU, it's in his specs...

Darkheart
Insane Morphius

Post by Insane Morphius »

Just drivers my man!

The MX300 will need the older Aureal drivers

Make sure you install the new VIA 4in1's as well, and you do them (OS/4in1/Vid)in the correct order or you may be FUBAR :)

If you need assistance just holler K

Morphius
Syn
Golden Member

Post by Syn »

For a good solid motherboard I suggest the MSI K7T Pro2 or Pro2-A(ATA/100).I built my first T-bird system last week with a 800MHz T-bird and MSI K7T Pro2-A and have not had a single problem.

I wouldnt wait for the DDR boards.They will be 1st gen and are bound to have bugs.
<a href=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=1000>HeatWare</a>