Dumping the zipcd, TDK velocd 8x4x32 or Plex 8x4x32 give me cd text?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Casanova
Genuine Member

Post by Casanova »

I'm just gonna dump the zipcd 650 on a family member, like they need cd text anyways. So it's gonna be like a 20 dollar upgrade all together. Which of these burners is gonna get me cd text!? Under adaptec's EZ cd creator they say both support cd text and nerorom says both drives support read and write of cd text. Can I go wrong with either one? Buy.com has the tdk in stock so right now I'm leaning towards it... Opinions? Links to reviews?

Thanks
DW
CaterpillarAssassin
Almighty Member

Post by CaterpillarAssassin »

I'd go with a plex.
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

I'm pretty sure both drives have exactly the same internals. Plextor does firmware updates and passes them to TDK. So it depends how soon you want to see firmware updates. The real Plex drive will have them first with the TDK to follow.

Check this out:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/ ... _8432.html

http://www.tdk.com/support/velocdsup8x.html

Looks like they keep up.

[Edited by Schwartz on 12-10-2000 at 05:20 PM]
Schwartz

Post by Schwartz »

Specs from the TDK site:

· Useable Formats: Read CD-DA, CD-ROM (Mode 1), CD-ROM XA (Mode 2: form 1 or form 2), CD-ROM (Mixed Mode), Photo CD, VideoCD, CD-I (MPEG movies), CD-Extra, CD-G, CD Text

· Useable Formats: Write ISO 9660-HFS, Rockridge, Photo CD, VideoCD, CD-I, CD-Extra (CD-Plus), Enhanced CD, CD-Text, CD+G, CD-Midi

· Disc Diameter 12 cm diameter (Recording time 74 and 80 min.)

· Writing Modes Track-at-Once, Disc-at-Once, Session-at-Once, Multisession, Fixed and Variable Packet Writing

Specs from Plextor:

Part # (retail kit): PX-W8432Ti/SW (internal)
ATAPI-4/E-IDE Interface
3-in-1 drive: 8X CD-R, 4X CD-RW, 32X max CD-ROM
160ms Average Random Access
4 MB Buffer
Records highest quality audio CDs
Capable of Digital Audio Extraction at 20X max
Supports CD-DA; CD-ROM (Mode 1); CD-ROM (Mixed Mode); CD-ROM XA; Mode 2 Form 1 and Form 2; Mode 2 CD-I; Photo CD; Video CD; CD-Extra; CD+G; CD Text
Compatible with a large number of CD-R and CD-RW media
Flash ROM allows for easy upgrade over the Internet
Windows Plug & Play Compatible
Supports Disc-at-Once, Track-at-Once, Session-at-Once, Variable & Fixed packet writing modes
One-Year Full Warranty and Unlimited Toll-Free Tech Support

So both drives do CD text. I stil believe the are the same drive so it depends how soon you want firmware updates. I myself own a SCSI Plex drive. Maybe you can find someone who owns one of these drive and see what they say about it.
stall6g

Post by stall6g »

I own the Plextor and I love it although I can't tell you how well it does CD text as I haven't had a need to do it yet. I have absolutely no complaints with this drive though and I haven't made a coaster yet(knock on wood).
CaterpillarAssassin
Almighty Member

Post by CaterpillarAssassin »

If there the same then i'd go w/ a velocd. Arent they a cool transparent blue?
Casanova
Genuine Member

Post by Casanova »

Well I just ordered the Plextor 8x4x32.... comes w/10 free cd-r's so that's why I went it really. Plus I just trust the Plextor... best you can get. Only downside is that's in back order and will just have to wait a week or so. Oh well, I'm sure I'm gonna be much happier with it rather than that iomega zipcd!!!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

The TDK Velocd is indeed a rebadged Plextor, i have just purchased the Velo 12x10x32 which is also a rebadged Plex..