Where have all the good mice gone?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Where have all the good mice gone?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

One of the buttons on my beloved Logitech G400s died last night. Thankfully I bought two a couple of years ago so I had a spare. The bad one went into storage for spare parts. I got online last night and managed to find two more on Newegg from a reseller in Hong Kong for $70 each (everyone else is selling refurbs for $100). They're not supposed to be refurbs, but we'll see.

I hate that Logitech hasn't replaced this mouse with something similar. This mouse replaced the MX518 (also a great mouse) with the same button arrangement, but the MX518 has a lower polling rate, and they finally discontinued the G400s a few years ago and never replaced it. It has three buttons on top in addition to the two on the side, and after many years I'm used to using those buttons in FPS games. I use the one above the wheel for the 'use' function, the one right below the wheel for alternate fire or secondary action, and the bottom most for a variety of things.

It's also the perfect shape for my big hands, and I think one of the reasons I've never developed Carpal Tunnel. I've some some other fancy gaming mice, and none of them feel right or have the buttons placed right for me.

Most modern mice have two buttons on top, and they're not always in a good ergonomic location either - both usually below the wheel. That one above the wheel is perfect as a use or alt fire. I don't use the wheel for alt fire because it's too easy to roll it and change weapons by accident, or do an unintended melee attack (I use wheel up for weapon switch, and down for melee).

I also have a couple of well used, but functional, MX518s, which I could go back to if I had to. It's just nice having that higher polling rate for games.

Hopefully with the two I've ordered, and the spare I just unboxed, I can keep gaming until Logitech comes to their senses and makes a refresh of that form factor, otherwise I may have to start using cannibalized parts to rebuild these things in the future.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Where have all the good mice gone?

Post by reno »

call me old fashion but I still miss my microsoft trackball mouse. even with there know problems .like lint and dirt build up . having to remove the roller ball and using cleaner all the time using a q tip-to clean the contacts . then the bulkness of the unit on your desk.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I use the G500s and love it. Don't know if there's more available. Haven't look.
------------------------------------------

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Now I looked out of curiosity. People asking for like $150-200 for a G500s.
Damn!

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, you would think that Logitech would realize that gamers are serious about what kind of model they like, and maintain popular models, or just refresh them with new electronics.

Yeah I remember when the MX518 was discontinued, people were selling them for $200 on Ebay for a while until Logitech heard all the complaints and refreshed the same case shape as the G400s. Pity they've forgotten that lesson.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have a couple of G305 that seem to work very well, but on my main gaming rig, I'm still using the MS Intellimouse 3.0. Sucker is old but still works.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I have been slowly buying every G9 that has shown up on Ebay less than $40 over the last 5 years. New ones are $350 if you can find one. Used good condition ones are typically $100-150. I get the ones that act sporadic and repair them.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI: The two Logitech G400s mice I ordered arrived, and they are new in the original retail boxes. :)

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:FYI: The two Logitech G400s mice I ordered arrived, and they are new in the original retail boxes. :)
How much were those G400s?
I wanna pick up a spare G500s (or two).

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

After my 400 died I got a 502 and got used to it pretty quick and like it. Only issue is the DPI change buttons are too sensitive so I bump them on occasion.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've been using the G502 for the past few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectru ... J9B30EXBD9
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

How much were those G400s?
I wanna pick up a spare G500s (or two).
$58 each, which I considered a bargain. People are selling used ones on Ebay for well over $100. The reseller I used is out.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: I have a G502. Free to a good home. I could never adapt to it. I'm too used to three programmable buttons on top.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I'll take it if you nobody needs it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Done! Genom, PM me your shipping addy.