Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote $20 shipped

Computer Parts, Games, DVD's, ex-girfriends..well you get the idea. No dealers, referral links, spam, or auctions. Please be sure your email shows in your profile and to post a price when selling.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote $20 shipped

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can read up on it here along with reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL ... PDKIKX0DER

I bought it in January 2011. Battery still maintains an excellent charge. Comes with the charge cradle, CD, mini USB cable & paperwork.

Let me just say that this is a great remote AND you have the patience of a saint to configure it properly.

I did have it configured for my livingroom to replace the remotes for my HDTV, Surround Amplifier, Comcast DVR, and Media Center PC. It does do what it's supposed to very well. I tried to use this as a secondary remote but it's awkward using the main power button on the remote because it assumes that everything you want to turn on is already off. If you turn on the TV with the Harmony then your wife turns it off with the TV remote, the Harmony still thinks the TV is on and it gets confusing. You CAN just use the Toggle Power button for a specific device from it's sub menu (and you can move that button to a more convenient place so it's not buried), but in the end it just didn't work out for me. With two of us using different remotes, it was easier just to buy a second Media Center remote and a second TV remote. I do everything through Media Center anyway so that's the only two remotes I need.

I would recommend you use this remote as your ONLY remote and it's ideal for a major entertainment center with several devices. If you have to juggle between 6 remotes, you'll love this thing, but it's a waste if you only use two remotes.

It is EXTREMELY programmable and customizable. You have to connect it to your computer's USB port to configure it, and you need an Internet connection. There's a local app that's installed, but it pulls all the configuration data from their server and it stores your remote's configuration on their server. You have to setup a free account. It finds the correct settings for practically any device, but even if it doesn't you can have it learn the codes from your device's own remote.

Let me just warn you that the configuration software is not particularly easy to use. There IS a wizard, but to do any serious customizing you have to go into the advanced settings, and they are not always intuitive. It's also rather slow to upload your new configuration to the remote so expect to spend a LOT of time going back and forth between the computer and the TV before you have it setup right.

I also wants to setup "Activities". This does work great, once you get used to it ("Watch a DVD", "Watch TV", "Listen to Radio"). When you press an activity button it sends out the IR codes to configure everything to perform that activity (including powering up the devices if you want). So pressing "Watch TV" will fire up the HDTV and the audio amp, change the input on the TV to the correct one for your cable box, change the input on the audio amp to TV, configure the channel keys to control the cable box and the volume to adjust the TV for example. All this can be minutely customized.

You can also just manually adjust inputs on a device via that device's sub menu of remote control commands. So if you want to go old school and just change the input on the TV yourself, you can, but you'll need to dig through the menu on the remote until you find it. It'll let you do that, but the remote is best used when you let it setup an "Activity" for you.

Another nice thing is that this remote has a VERY strong IR signal. Far stronger than any remote I've ever used before, so you can be quite far away.

Great remote, but setting it up is not for the faint of heart. If you're a gadget freak and want a James-Bond type remote control, you'll have fun.

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

renovation

Post by renovation »

pm sent
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I had the logitech harmony and I gave it to my Dad, he loves it! We even bought the bluetooth adapter to hook it up to his PS3.. I'd like to find one that's RF/BT compatible that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.. haha
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sold!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

MoFo

Post by MoFo »

if for some reason its not sold I will take it, broke mine :(