Insane new Lincoln 48-inch wide dashboard display

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Insane new Lincoln 48-inch wide dashboard display

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Next level of stupid. And I thought my wife's 2018 Lincoln Navigator's screens were distracting (I like to call her dash the 'neon lights and dancing elephants show').

And I'm not seeing any physical climate controls, so count me out. It's not that knob below the tranny buttons. That knob is the drive performance mode selector knob. On my wife's car it's behind the cup holders. And the six buttons around it are not for climate. One is for the hazard signal. Looks like the others are for accessories, which makes sense, because the accessory buttons used to be above the mirror, but now they're gone.

I can't wait until this era of 'let's make it look like a Tesla dash' is over, and we get back to practical styling. Until then, I'll keep my 2012 Navigator, with the classic chrome and faux burl wood accents, and analog-style instruments, with a simple 10 inch touch screen for the entertainment system.

This is what my wife's 2018 Navigator dash looks like (same as my wife's car but different colors), and even this I find distracting and there's a lot of animations and nonsense on the instrument cluster screen, but at least it has real climate controls, and there is also a heads up display, so honestly, I'm rarely looking at the instrument cluster screen when I drive her car.

I much prefer my 'old fashioned' 2012 Navigator Dash. This at least looks like a luxury car dash should, not like the inside of a Star Trek shuttle:
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Insane new Lincoln 48-inch wide dashboard display

Post by Executioner »

I miss the cars from the late 60's and early 70's. Easy to work on with no fluff.

I'll be in the market for another car. I currently have a 2016 Subaru Outback. Very nice car, but it's not comfortable for me when I drive 100+ miles. I get out and my back hurts. I played around with the seat adjustments, but it did not help. When my wife and I went to Tennessee in early October, we rented a 2021 Chevy truck. I drove that truck for miles with no issues on my back. So I my opt for getting another truck to drive. My last one I sold in late 2019. It was a 2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have the same problem with the wife's Navigator. It has the fancier 15 point adjustment seats, but after a couple of hours it starts to bother my back, no matter how I adjust it.

My old Navigator seats, and my old work truck (2013 Yukon) are much better. I can drive either of those all day.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My wife and I saw that new Nautilus at the car show. She's set on getting it when her current Lincoln's lease is up at the end of the year. I personally like having physical climate control buttons but it's not my car. In its defense, you can also just hit the SYCN button and tell the car to set the temp to [whatever] and it'll set it for you. I do that now in my new F-150, despite having physical controls. That way I don't take my eyes off the road.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Los - what year is your Ford F150? I may be looking at getting back to a truck.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

The one I bought is the 2023 F-150 Platinum. with Black Appearance Package. Gorgeous truck. Now, if you've got time, the 2024 has the new tailgate that has a small door that swings out, so if you don't want to have to lean across the tailgate to reach for things, then it might interest you. The 2024 also now has heads-up display as an option.

I personally grabbed a '23 because the 24s were also some 5k more overall when I priced them out. The cheapest way to get one is to order one from Granger Ford in Iowa. They sell for like 3% over invoice. Most of the people in the F-150 forum go that route unless you can somehow get your local dealer to match it. Then just fly/drive out there and enjoy the road trip. The BlueCruise feature works nicely on the highways (like Tesla autopilot). I went with the Platinum because of all the features and the clean look when the running boards retract under the truck.

One thing I'm enjoying is the HUGE aftermarket stuff you can do with a pickup. I've been going a little crazy with stuff. Changed the taillights to go with the black theme, for starters. Then there's all the lighting options you can do. I've added LEDs to the side vents and put in a lit Ford emblem up front. LOL I feel like a kid in a candy store, buying shit for the truck.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I might add that most "knobs" in newer cars don't physically connect to anything. They are just encoders that tell the computer what to do. Now in lower end cars the knobs are more than likely connected to the heat flap and diverter. And the fan switch is really the fan switch.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Granted, nothing is physically wired to anything anymore (a few manufacturers still make a low end interior package with real physical controls). It all goes through the cam bus, but usually the climate controls are a standalone unit, not going through the entertainment system logic.

The other thing is that you can reach for a physical climate control blindly, once you're familiar with the car, and not take your eyes off the road.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Los - may I ask what you paid for that truck? I don't think I need a "platinum" series. A XLT model would be fine for me.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My Platinum was $83,500 MSRP and got it for $73k
Keep in mind, it's a Platinum AND has all the extra options, the way I ordered it. You could definitely spend less.