Car Title problem we think fix finally after 5-6 years Sold it today

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Car Title problem we think fix finally after 5-6 years Sold it today

Post by reno »

may of posted about this a while back .
when we made the big move down to to Florida . we had to transfer are cars to Florida - that not cheap at like $400.00 per car .
anyway the 2008 Saturn vue became a nightmare . the paperwork (title , letter of release of lien from are credit union in Michigan ) all was turned in to the local branch of the tax collectors office ( florida department of motor vehicle's ) well the information's all sent to the headquarters in Tallahassee. there they send a letter to the lean holder to have it verified all is legal . here were things went sideways the credit union we used got taken over and they closed the branch office down . the happen 2-3 years before we moved down here. but are loan was payed off on the car years earlier. also in Michigan after so many years. you don't need the sign off of lien on the car to resell it .so we never turned it in to have are title replace. with one with no lien holder on it.
anyway the sent letter by the state of Florida . never got to were it needed to . also we never were informed of this. we don't know if it was returned to Florida or just ended in a dead letter office someplace . to top this all off in 2015 when we moved down we have been buying yearly florida plates for the car . there wasn't a problem till last year. when we bought are wife's new car and traded in her lease . did we find out we had a major problem . the dealer transposed the plate no, we had on the old lease car and my 08 saturn . then we began having problems .first we were not allow to renew are plate online .then we went to the office and they said until the dealer fixed up some paperwork we couldn't renew the plate . plus we were informed there a title problem with are saturn . ok the dealer fix the renewing the plate problem . even bought the plate for a year on the saturn . but we still needed to clear up the loan sign off problem .
well after 11 months we have this maybe fixed and another $100.00 between sending a certified letter that never made it to the credit union or back to us . a bunch of phone calls to Michigan ,a number of trips to florida department of motor Vehicle , and one phone call last week to the credit union that took over are old credit union .we were able to get a letter stating there was no loan on are car we bought new in 2008 . so Tuesday we got the
a notarized release of lien letter in are mail box . (but even it had the wifes last name spelled wrong ) so we didn't know till today of Florida would accept it . thank good they did and in a week we should have a florida title so we can unload this car. before we couldn't even release it to a junk yard the way it was with the title. right now fingers are crossed . we couldn't even get a replacement title from michigan .because of it being the way thing were so messed up here in Florida . Florida wouldn't give us a copy of the title either we tried to get one for the new credit union in michigan.
sadly the original car loan. because it was payed off before the new credit union took over . didn't have the information in the computer files given to them. from the original credit union we got the loan from . lucky for me we spoke to the right woman who checked are account and she was able to see something that made this all work out so she sent a letter to free up the title . !

sorry it so long but its a nutty but true story .
Last edited by reno on Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reno

Re: Car Title problem we think fix finally after 5-6 years

Post by reno »

state cash are check but still in a hurry up and wait been about 10 day to 2 weeks . that the wife went to the DMV with the needed paperwork to free up are car's title .
reno

Post by reno »

latest news - wife went online and we have a copy she printed of the car title .says date of issue is 6-22-22 and title printed 6-27-2022 -were still waiting for a hard copy to arrive to are home . I'm not fully sure the meaning or reason for this but odometer reading /status (exempt ) maybe FP or other member that lives here in Florida may know ?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Florida can be dicks about titles.

I found this for you: https://m.flsenate.gov/statutes/319.225
A vehicle with a model year of 2011 or newer is exempt from odometer disclosure after 20 years, and a vehicle with a model year of 2010 or older is exempt from odometer disclosure after 10 years.

Pro tip for you Floridians: ALWAYS ask for a paper title, and stash it away in your safe deposit box. Florida is really pushing their electronic titles now, and I'm sorry, I'm not going to rely on that. I want a physical legal document.

My friend passed away a year and a half ago, and since she lived with us at the end, I still have her car here, but can't do anything with it. It's an old 2005 Chevy equinox, but it runs (or ran a year and a half ago anyway). Her brother lives in Iowa, and has long since settled her estate, but the car is up in the air. He doesn't want the car, and he has been trying to obtain the title from Florida (we looked through all her paperwork and couldn't find it, even though her files were well organized and I'm certain she would have had a paper copy). He just wanted to transfer it to me so I can give it away to someone that can use it here. But so far no joy and he's given up.

I researched it, and I could claim it as an abandoned vehicle, but the hoops you have to go through are ridiculous, and it's not worth my time. So sadly, I'm getting ready to call the Sherriff's office and have it towed as an abandoned vehicle. I'll give them the contact info for the brother, her death certificate, and her last registration if they want it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Do you have to reach out to the state and request the paper title if you want one? Is the electronic version the default?
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

When we bought the wife's new car car in 2018, the dealer asked us if we wanted an electronic or paper title. We paid cash so I'm not sure how it works when you're paying off a loan.

If you have an electronic one now, I'm sure you could go to DMV and request a paper one.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno

Post by reno »

paper one arrived today = already have people asking to buy it . far chance it be gone (sold) Thursday.
reno

Re: Car Title problem we think fix finally after 5-6 years Sold it today

Post by reno »

sold the car today to first person to look at it. :) gave me what I asked for cash in hand.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Car Title problem we think fix finally after 5-6 years Sold it today

Post by Losbot »

Awesome!
------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:30 pm When we bought the wife's new car car in 2018, the dealer asked us if we wanted an electronic or paper title. We paid cash so I'm not sure how it works when you're paying off a loan.

If you have an electronic one now, I'm sure you could go to DMV and request a paper one.
i fully agree paper the way to go . we told you all about the 2014 Camry that my daughter gave us . Monday plan is to take her to the DMV and get it switch over to us . we have to bring her to the DMV and hope there no problem . the car payed off but who knows if the state was informed until we get there for sure .
after all the BS we just went though getting the title for my Saturn .
we have a friend who buying a car from a neighbor here who waiting for it to be cleared from a estate of his neighbor . the the car tied up in probate the Home been cleared to be sold . but the car still not been free to be sold . they have it sitting at a relative home . the woman who pass told the family her wish was for him to get the car . i'm just glad he did move it to his garage while he waited for it to clear probate . who knows how long that could take. (they have lawyers handling the estate for the family ) this been going on for about 6 months or longer we know of .

we know of one home in my condo complex that in probate that the person died . there a car in the garage still after a year. the condo can touch it or the condo unit . the unit in probate as there was no will or next of kind listed. they did fine a x wife .but she didn't want any part of anything to do with the unit. so it sit full like he left it. the only thing was the complex did get (hire ) a bio-cleaning company into the unit to clean it and remove the fridge . I know he file bankruptcy a month or two before he died and passed inside the unit. so who know how long it be before that unit avail to be sold again. ( i know he owed me a hunk of cash we just wrote off for repairs we did for him ) he always payed me before so wasn't worried . we could file a claim but not worth the legal cost .we be at the bottom of the pile when his unit sold . if there is any dollars left to pay my claim .