garmin update- for my 2012 Nuvi 2350

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

garmin update- for my 2012 Nuvi 2350

Post by reno »

used it yesterday first time in at least 2 to 3 years. it informed me I needed to update the map. doing it now I got free lifetime upgrade maps when i originally registered the unit - 8 years ago. forgot how painfully slow it is to do there map upgrades online. first needed to download and install the
latest garmin express program. then input my email address so they can check and make sure I had lifetime upgrades . now its been 1 hour and im at 36 % with what it saying will be 1 hour and 9 mins left till completing the download of the new maps on my Nuvi 2350 . (not to unplug or turn off my computer) that hooked to a usb port on my laptop. ya wonder if there new units are any faster at upgrading maps . :bang just to put it back into my hall closet till needed again.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: garmin update- for my 2012 Nuvi 2350

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Or you could just use your phone?

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone uses GPS devices anymore. My wife's and my cars have built in navigation and I never use it.

Even if you'll be outside good cellphone coverage, Google now has an offline mapping option, and there are a couple of good offline mapping apps I used to use when I travelled a lot.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I ave an old Garmin Nuvi in a box somewhere, stored. I'll most likely ditch it the next time I see it. They were great back in the day.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - I still have mine and I used it yesterday.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

i like the larger screen also my older car .doesn't have a screen in it or bluetooth -2008 saturn vue . also don't own a cell phone mount for my samsung s-10. that I keep on my belt or pants in the cloth belt clip case all the time .we do have like 3 or 4 navigation programs installed on it including waze . now wife car has a dash screen but rarely am I going anyplace without her. when driving that car. she will use her phone and travel asst. program she likes . besides she use a apple cell phone. I'm not a Apple fan just never got use to using Apple.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'll be happy when I get my new car next year because it supports Android Auto via WiFi, I've read. Won't need to tether it which is nice because the car has a slot between the driver and passenger, just behind them, where it has wireless charging for the phone. Would be a pain to have the cable there. Goal is to be completely hands-free.
------------------------------------------

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, Garming updates take forever.

I actually use my Garmin on the daily. I like to have a dedicated GPS and leave my phone in my pocket. If I'm not navigating, I like it just to see a live map of where I'm at and getting speed limit updates. It's amazing how many times I've found alternate routes when there was a sudden stoppage in traffic.