Byton is putting a 48-inch screen in its new EV, and it has content, too

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Byton is putting a 48-inch screen in its new EV, and it has content, too

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Like car dashes aren't already distracting enough...

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/01/ev ... s-content/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Byton is putting a 48-inch screen in its new EV, and it has content, too

Post by Err »

The photograph of that screen makes my eyes hurt. I couldn't imagine actually trying to drive the thing. I'm beginning to wonder if these designers have ever driven a car. It's like they can't comprehend that cars get driven at night and also in the cold.

Something I just notices, and have been seeing a lot on new cars, is that there's no place to put my phone and wallet. I can't stand to drive with either in my pocket and don't want to stick them in the console.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I can't understand why all modern cars don't have a phone cradle built into the dash.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Just wait I bet it gets better after they roll out a few updates that you cant op out of....

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Amen to the dash phone cradle!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My wife's 2018 Navigator has a cradle in the console between the seats, but it's meant for the passenger and useless to the driver. There is a wireless charger compartment on the drivers side of the console, but it's not meant so you can see the phone and neither of our phones has wireless charging anyway.

I wound up buying a couple of these bean bag friction dash mounts for our two cars which works well and I can easily move it to the RV or a rental car. It can hold the phone vertically (which I prefer) or horizontally.

https://www.amazon.com/i-Trek-Beanbag-F ... B0093Q6AI8

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

talking about cell phones and car's - when the wife and I are in her car .2018 Gmc terrain . the car picks up my Galaxy s10 over her I phone . it get better - I can be in my own car driving one or two cars behind her's . her car will pick up my cell calls and cut her I phone off . im guessing my phone has a stronger signal then her I phone is the reason . it just weird being her cell phone is listed as the no.1 or main cell on the information center in the dash and was installed first on her car.
also FP that phone bean bag dash mount looks a lot like the oem Garmin mount i bought years back and still own and use.
back to dash /driving touch screens information centers they getting to large if someone were ask me .like the touch screens used in dodge pickup trucks . can you really use them fully . keep your eyes on the road were they belong ? there trying to add all the switches /controls into these screen .
more and more from the radio to wiper systems ,head lights , climate control's and who knows what else .to me its more bling to add $$$$ to the car or trucks sales price ,there putting safety in the back seat to hike profit and sale's . we are buying into it head first. KIND OF LIKE THE NEW REFRIGERATOR that tell you its milk resupply time and make out shopping lists .
yes im into to with my dishwasher that is design to be WIFI connect .so if were away from home . I'll be able to turn the LG dishwasher on by a signal off my computer or cell phone . not a item we needed but it was built into it when we received the unit. (never used this part of the unit)