Rewind to 16yrs old again

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Wow, you went all the way.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I think at this point you're coming close to fabricating the car from scratch. Thanks for the progress pics.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well the passenger side front cab mounting pad on the frame was bent down .500" or more. I cold hammered it back into place about .010" at a time in specific spots so I didnt get too agressive and cause a weak spot. Im sure this bent pad was causing a lot of my body panel alignment issues and the car to "lean" to the passenger side. Also, the front cab mount bushings are near impossible to change without pulling the fenders and such....Not enough flex in the body without contacting gaps and causing damage. The motor is junk IMO so I figured its all or nothing. I want to paint the firewall so its looks nice under the hood as well and a lot easier with it all removed. Also, doing an AC delete so I can free up some room for valve cover clearance. All the poncho motors are the same regardless of 326 up to 455ci but on a chevy, the dimensions go way up when you jump in the big block realm.

At the speeds and performance (naturally aspirated) that i want to achieve, a BBC motors is the only way to go. I have set my cross hairs on a vortec 454 in a late model suburban. It will have all the accy and serpentine belt setup as well. 4 bolt block, factory equipped with a roller cam and such. Even in stock form, with a real cam installed, mild port job, decent intake and carb, 450-480hp should be a drop in the bucket. Then comes the juice....
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

The car is gonna look badass when done.
------------------------------------------

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I just hope to have it done by Christmas next year LOL!

I picked up a couple budget HVLP guns yesterday, now just need to get a couple quarts of paint and reducer and try my hand at painting. Figure between the fender wells, core support, firewall, and frame, I can screw it up a few times and learn how to get it right before shooting the top coat.

I was going to go with malibu sunset orange, but I think Im going to just stock with single stage hugger orange for now till I get OCD enough to have a good body shop get all the ripples and waves out. Also, not sure how straight the car will stay after a few hundred passes. I know that if I jack the car up and use the body mount bushing pads to support the weight, the drivers side door will not open but when it was on its wheels it would open fine. I know the striker is outta whack though and the ps door opens/closes fine regardless. Subframe connecters are looking like a must....I sure miss my old full frame velle....
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Both inner and outter shoulder cowls are on order...more welding for me...

Frame is blasted and in primer. Just need to get it shot with some black enamel.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well talk about a pita. never again will I try to tackle a set of cowls...Hope they go in easier than they came out....

And I still have the passenger side to cut out...grrr..I see a panel patch job on that side at this rate...
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Bleeding & everything. Yeah, personally, I'd take a car with a bad drive-train over a rusty body any day.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Instead of flooding this site with pics, Ive loaded a bunch here:

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/to ... ild/page-4
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Finished product..
renovation

Post by renovation »

you are really going to have some heavy $$$$$ and hours in this project .but I'm sure it be worth it .
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Will be plating the firewall off this weekend. Ditching the factory AC/heater box since it weights 30+ lbs and some asshat busted the end of it where the ducts are supposed to go. Figure just get a vintage ac setup. Rarely need heat in TX and the vintage setup uses an element heater so no need for heater hoses going all over the engine compartment. Should clean things up quite a bit.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Annnnddd..... no more hideous firewall..

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

That ought to look really nice once you paint it. Are you going to route all of your harnesses and other things in a way that they won't be seen or ?
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Going to hid as much as possible. May use .50" id aluminum tubing to hid the small amount of wires going to the engine. All of the front lights/horn ect run off of a bulk head connector next to the DS fender so the harness can be hidden behind the fender/well.

Im actually going to segregate the "car" harness from the "powertrain" harness. Behind that plate I welded in, will be 4ea 1" stand offs with a plate of .250" acrylic mounted to it. Will have 6 relays, 6 fuse block, 2 ford starter solenoids, delay box, and msd 6 digital set up. Will run the fuel pump, water pump, fans, nos, ignition, trans brake, ect. The factory wiring will not be used as its current carrying capacity is limited and its just plain wore out.