94' Pontiac GA Tranny Issues..

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
eGoCeNTRoNiX

94' Pontiac GA Tranny Issues..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Ok Guys Of Mass Knowledge about cars.. ;) I know quite a bit about cars, but nothing at all about transmissions. Well, my car recently started shifting straight from 1st to 3rd gear. Isn't 2nd the first one to go in most cases? Well, in the past 3 days, it's worse. If I give it too much gas it's like being in nuetral, but if I'm easy on it it will go just fine though it takes a while to get up to cruising speed. It's like driving my VW again.. heh.. Memmories.. ;) What kinds of repair costs am I looking at? Any ideas? Yes, I've check the fluid levels and they're fine. Any opinions are appreciated. Another note.. This car "appears" to have been retrofitted for r134.a coolant. But! When I go to walfart and buy the refill kit the hose doesn't work with the fitting. Could the guy I bought it from, a mechanic, have just used 12 fittings but converted the rest??? Just curious.. TIA! eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Racer X 50
Genuine Member

Post by Racer X 50 »

Easy part 1st. I just convereted my car over to 134a and it had a quick connect adapter that came with the kit so the old valves are still there.

Trans: Hard to say but if it is slipping that badly you are probably looking at a rebuild. An easy patch fix though would be change the filter and fluid and see what happens.
My toy....
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

The lose of second gear may be due to the failure of the thrust washer that goes between the second gear drum and the driven sprocket support. It's a very common problem on the 4T60E transmissions.

When the washer fails the apply holes on the drum are no longer aligned with the sealing rings on the support. If you continue to drive the car you run the risk of damaging several parts and running up the cost of repairs.

Average cost on these transmissions in my area run from about $1200 to $1800. Earlier models, like yours, tend to cost a bit more on average because of updates that need to be done to them.
[align=center]Image[/align]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Thanx Tony

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I'd kind of been waiting for a response from you, as I know you know quite a bit about this type of thing. I have just stopped driving the car and started driving my bike full time, so depending on the estimate, I may just buy some old Japanese beater and then I'll save up the money to do the repairs or use the GA for trade in on something else as it is. Once again, thanx for the info.. :) eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Lan-Evo
Genuine Member

Post by Lan-Evo »

If you can find a hanger you can get it fixed in there, just wait for the wrench icon to appear and your all set :D (all you have to do is wait for the health bar on the car to go back to full) :D
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Originally posted by Lan-Evo
If you can find a hanger you can get it fixed in there, just wait for the wrench icon to appear and your all set :D (all you have to do is wait for the health bar on the car to go back to full) :D
:: :: :rollin :rollin :rollin :: ::
[align=center]Image[/align]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

LMAO That's a trip!! Even I know that won't work.. ;) And where's the Health Bar? he he he..j/j ;) eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!