So are movie theaters dead?

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

So are movie theaters dead?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like Regal theaters is closing. Is it the end of movie theaters, or maybe the beginning of something new?

Even before Covid I wasn't going to the theaters much. Just the occasional visual spectacle that I wanted to see on a really big screen, like 1917, but even then it's a chore.

I went to matinees to avoid noisy crowds and kids and get a good seat in the center that I can still easily get out of in the middle of the movie. Because. Let's be honest, I'm 60, and it's pretty damn hard to sit through a 2 1/2 to 3 hour movie, without having to take a piss.

I'm a former sound engineer, and it's a 50-50 chance that I will spend the entire movie, angry at the projectionist because the sound is either too loud or too soft.

And movies are f'ing expensive to just be bearded in like cattle, with as little leg room as economy class on a jet liner.

We all have decent size HDTVs at home by now. I've got a stunning 95 inch TV in my living room, and I can sit in my favorite recliner, and eat or drink anything I want, while petting my cat, and pause the movie and take a leak any time I want.

What I HOPE is that some entrepreneurs will buy up some of those theaters and refurbish them in a modern recreation of a cinema.

I went to one of those in Miami a few years ago. Someone remodeled an old theater with extremely comfortable recliner seats, with monstrous leg room, and a full bar. I'd be willing to pay a premium for a luxurious cinema experience like that.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: So are movie theaters dead?

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Looks like Regal theaters is closing. Is it the end of movie theaters, or maybe the beginning of something new?

Even before Covid I wasn't going to the theaters much. Just the occasional visual spectacle that I wanted to see on a really big screen, like 1917, but even then it's a chore.

I went to matinees to avoid noisy crowds and kids and get a good seat in the center that I can still easily get out of in the middle of the movie. Because. Let's be honest, I'm 60, and it's pretty damn hard to sit through a 2 1/2 to 3 hour movie, without having to take a piss.

I'm a former sound engineer, and it's a 50-50 chance that I will spend the entire movie, angry at the projectionist because the sound is either too loud or too soft.

And movies are f'ing expensive to just be bearded in like cattle, with as little leg room as economy class on a jet liner.

We all have decent size HDTVs at home by now. I've got a stunning 95 inch TV in my living room, and I can sit in my favorite recliner, and eat or drink anything I want, while petting my cat, and pause the movie and take a leak any time I want.

What I HOPE is that some entrepreneurs will buy up some of those theaters and refurbish them in a modern recreation of a cinema.

I went to one of those in Miami a few years ago. Someone remodeled an old theater with extremely comfortable recliner seats, with monstrous leg room, and a full bar. I'd be willing to pay a premium for a luxurious cinema experience like that.

We have one of those types of theaters about 5 mins from our house, Movie Tavern. Recliners, plenty of leg room and a full bar. There's several other AMC/Regal dine in movie theaters also that are similar about 15-20 mins from us. But like you we only go to see big blockbuster movies unless there's a movie the wife doesn't want to wait to see. I have a home theater at home that I built in the basement, everything else we watch at home.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I heard that the old drive in theaters may be coming back.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

We still have a drive in here. It's been doing bang up business the last 6 months.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well at $10 for a "medium" popcorn, $8.50 for a large fountain drink, and $5 for a small box of candy....wtf they expect?

Unless its Imax, the quality is shit and the places reek of sweaty gym socks.....

Let hollywood tarts take a hit, its about time they were pulled back to the real world.