"Chappie" mini review

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

"Chappie" mini review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This movie has been languishing on my server for a long time. I think it's because the title isn't particularly engaging. The critics also planned it back in 2015, although audience reviews were okay. I didn't know, until last night, that is was directed by the guy who did District 9, or I would have watched it a long time ago.

No spoilers, but the movie depicts very believable police robots that support live police officers in Johannasburg. The CGI work is fantastic. It makes me wish we had robots like this. These aren't slow plodding Terminators. These are spry, Boston Dynamics looking robots. There are some great scenes in a gang shootout with police where the robots go in ahead of officers and act as shields and support troops.

The major plot is that the inventor of these robots is more interested in a developing a self aware AI, while the corporation head (played by Sigourney Weaver) is just interested in selling the already smart enough robots to police forces.

The movie goes places I never expected it to go, with some real thought provocking plot ideas.

Don't let anyone tell you much more than this or they'll ruin it for you.

Hugh Jackman is also in the film as a rival engineer.

The only major criticism is that, like District 9, there's a lot of South African actors - mainly playing the gang members with street slang - and it's sometimes a little hard to understand them.

It's a strange combination of Robocop and Short Circuit, mixed with the exotically gritty flavor of District 9.

If you liked District 9, I think you'll like this. If you gave it a pass the first time around, like I did, I think it's worth looking at.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: "Chappie" mini review

Post by Losbot »

I honestly never even heard of this movie until now. I figured I'd go look for it and every usenet copy out there has been nuked. Of course, this one only had a few (less than 12) copies where more popular movies will have a hundred copies out there. That tells me it might not have been too popular or well known. A buddy hooked me up and I'm going to check it out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Check my DC.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Just watched it. You forgot to mention it got some of the movie A.X.L. in it as well.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Never saw AXL. Any good? Rotten Tomatoes reviews are mixed with the critics panning it, but an okay audience score.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Along similar lines except it's a robot dog that gets out, erased and couple of kids in their 20s find it.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Watched it a while back when it first came out. It was OK. Not as good as District 9 I thought, but it was still a good time.