Iron Monkey

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FanTum
Golden Member

Iron Monkey

Post by FanTum »

Oh great, another several year old kung fu movie being released in North America!!

Don't get me wrong looks rather entertaining!!!!

I have the original movie made in the 70's, not bad! But haven't seen the new one.
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

Kung Fu = good Hence, I will probably go see it.

Too bad they just relable older stuff and bring it to America. (Twin Dragons, anyone) I guess the studios do anything to make a buck.
- p o o p
succubiss
Golden Member

Post by succubiss »

there was a lot of good stuff, late 80s early 90s, that studios were very hesitant to release because they were unsure of the market response.

Then after Jackie Chan's flicks did good, they started releasing a whole slew of Kungfu type movies that were 3-5 years old.

This new one Iron Monkey looks okay, but i'll probably just wait for the dvd.
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

I am hesitant to see it at the theater because it looks like it has alot of that flying shit that CTHD had. Anyone seen it yet?
In time, you too will understand what I do.
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

I haven't seen it, but I guarantee there is a lot of "that flying shit" in it.

It is a kung fu movie, after all.
- p o o p
plucky duck

Post by plucky duck »

This is a very old chinese movie, if I recall correctly. Wierd how it can only now come to America and still grab a few extra bucks off of kung-fu lovin' fanatics :)

Did they even doing a bit of touch up on the movie? It looks dated, no?

Hee-ya! :P

Plucky
Viperoni
Almighty Member

Post by Viperoni »

I'm probably going to be hated on, but I really disliked CTHD because of all the unreal flying stuff :(
I really enjoy Jackie Chan movies though :)
plucky duck

Post by plucky duck »

DIE Viperoni!! DIE!! :P (jk) hehe

Yeah, I see the flying stuff in that movie is WAY overdone as well, even for someone who's used to seeing that kind of stunt in regular chinese movies. They give high-wire stunts a bad rap.

Plucky
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

Most people have no problem with Superman flying, but when a Chinese person flies it becomes silly.

I think it is a culture thing. In America, we have always known that Superman is, well, Super. So for him, flying is no big deal. Heck, he has a cape and silly outfit already. The people in Kung Fu movies do nothing to distinguish themselves as extraordinary people. We go into the movie thinking they are normal (they dress normally and act normally). Then, when they start doing extraordinary things (like flying), we cannot instantly change our perception of this person from normal to super.

Also, very few chinese characters in a Kung Fu movie go through a metamorphisis like Superman. As Clark, he is a complete dweeb. We never see Clark fly, we only see Superman fly. In a Kung Fu movie, we don't usually see a change (Iron Monkey is an exception to this rule).

Just remember that the fighting is as unreal as the flying.
- p o o p
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

You are not alone in that hatred Viperoni :)

Speaking for myself Poop, I have no reason to dislike Superman flying for one single reason: he is not human. He is from another planet and our sun supposedly gives him his superpowers. He does not need to put on the silly costume for me to accept that either. Dressed as Kent or Superman, he is still Superman. Same thing with The Matrix. It was presented as a computer world in which crap like that was possible because of the very fact that it wasn't the real world. Now if say Batman were to suddenly up and fly, I would have a problem with that as he is supposed to be a normal (albiet well conditioned) human in the real world. It actually has nothing to do with the fact that they are Chinese or not. If Superman/Neo was Chinese, cool. I have no problem with the flying still due to the above reason.

In CTHD and movies such as that, the world shown to you and the people in it are supposed to be the real one, but these people are able to do these things due to extensive training etc. That is where the dislike comes in, for me at least, because it completely and utterly ruins my sense of disbelief. I am not agains wire-fu in and of itself. Used properly for certian moves etc, yeah it looks killer. Look at Romeo Must Die. That made use of wirefu quite alot, but it was never overdone. A quick move here, and an amazing move there that training might be able to provide is cool. But when I see a normal human (regardless of background and nationality) make a 40 foot leap straight up in the air that just blows it. No amount of training etc can account for that due to the fact that the world operates on very distinct and completely unbreakable physics. Human being cannot jump 40' or more. Period.

Hehehe. I know it is a minor thing and if you dig it, cool. I hope you truly enjoy movies like that. But I just can't. I guess my ability to suspend my disbelief only goes so far :)
Viperoni
Almighty Member

Post by Viperoni »

I think wraithlord is right, though I'm not fond a superman at all....I like Spiderman :)
But he's obviously been mutated, so I mean you can't argue that he's super human in a way.
blade

Post by blade »

poop, why are you always so defensive of chinese and take it too personal. This thinking has ZERO to do with anyones nationality or their color. As Wraith explained superman has reasons why he can fly. We'd feel the same if it was any americans flying around in a kung foo movie, like seagal, norris, etc..

These are supposed normal people and here they are flying around on trees, walking tall walls. Yes that looks stupid and makes zero sense. Maybe if you're use to seeing it a lot but we aren't. It was never explained how they attained such powers, if they do that then it would be more believable.

You never see jackie chan flying around,hehe So forget the racial thinking ok, it ain't even remotely because of that. ;)
Viperoni
Almighty Member

Post by Viperoni »

Originally posted by blade
We'd feel the same if it was any americans flying around in a kung foo movie, like seagal, norris, etc..

You never see jackie chan flying around,hehe So forget the racial thinking ok, it ain't even remotely because of that. ;)
Hahahahahah, blade you bastage I just fell off my chair laughing at the seagal flying comment :D

The only time I remember Jackie flying was when he jumped off the ships mast....but he broke his leg and did the rest of the movie in a cast, major props to him for that :)
FanTum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

It's all fantasy, either you like it or you don't!
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

True enough Fantum.

Actually Blade, Seagal was in a movie where he was seen flying. Executive Decision with Kurt Russel and John Legueziamo (sp). Of course, he flew off the back of a Blackhawk F-117 and flew directly into the ground far far below. And past that, he was no longer in the movie. Which, in my seriously biased opinion makes it the greatest Seagal flick made. Ever. :D

Can you tell I don't like Steven Seagal? :) Now Jackie Chan I like. Even moreso, I dig most of his female co-stars as well ;)